I thought that it might be interesting to highlight some of the books, mags, patterns and courses that I've used and the projects that they helped create. I will attempt :-) to organise them by alphabetical order, with links to the publishers as well as the related post.
Appliqué Inside the Lines: 12 Quilt Projects to Embroider and Appliqué
by Carol Armstrong
- I love this book and have done several of the projects.
- Post: Learning Needle Turn Appliqué from an Expert, October 2013
- Post: Quilting in the Bush, May 2016
Beginner's Guide to Freestyle Embroidery
by Christina Marsh
- This is my favourite embroidery book and I've done most of the projects in it.
- Post: Fireworks for July's Landscape Art Quilt, (July 29, 2015)
Crafted Appliqué by Lara Buccella
- I've read the book, and although I haven't completed any of Lara's projects, I used her Crafted Appliqué technique. It's wonderful. Read the book and find out what the fuss is about!
- Post: Embellished Dress-up Shirt, December 11, 2016
by Rose Hughes
- I made one of my first landscape art quilts based on this book. I refer to it for ideas when making landscapes.
- Post: Monthly Landscape Art Quilt Challenge (June 17, 2015)
Exploring Textile Arts published in 2002 by the Editors of Creative Publishing (there is an updated version)
- I mixed up a couple of the techniques, Shuttered Windows & Openwork, in my first Exit Strategy piece.
- Post: Mixing it all up at Free Motion Mavericks (March 5, 2020)
|Fox in a Box Pattern|
- It made a beautiful quilt - I would consider the pattern to be at an intermediate level.
- Post: Another Baby Quilt, June 28, 2016
Free-Motion Machine Quilting 1-2-3
by Lori Kennedy
- I have practiced many of Lori's FMQ motifs.
- Post: Free Motion Mavericks and funky square flowers (January 30, 2019)
by Karen Eckmeier
- Many projects to make with raw-edge fabric collage. I used the technique to make my Amalfi Coast landscape quilt.
- Post: 30/30 Challenge Update - Week 3 (March 24, 2014)
- Post: Finishing up - Final Update (March 30, 2014)
International Quilt Festival Quilt Scene Magazine
- I made my own version of the Charley Harper Quilt. by by Melissa Lunden (it's featured on the cover of the magazine, at the bottom right).
- Post: Two quilts are better than one (July 20, 2015)
- Post: Too much quilting? (September 24, 2015)
Little Gems, 15 paper-pieced miniature quilts
by Connie Kauffman
- It's a great paper piecing book of miniature quilts. The designs are really different and a joy to quilt. I made the Spinner pattern and want to make many more.
- Post: Making a Mini Gem (April 27, 2015)
Made by Marney Patterns
by Mary Hertel
- Made by Marney patterns use Foundation paper piecing. They are available on Etsy and BluePrint.
- Posts: Moose Cubicle Mini Quilt (April 6, 2019)
- A finished birthday bear mini (December 19, 2018)
- A loon, a bear and a binding tutorial (November 25, 2018)
Make Modern Magazine, Issue 22
- Epic Bow Tie Quilt by Jen Van Orman is on the cover of Issue 22. It's a great modern quilting magazine that is only available
- An Epic Bow Tie Neutral Quilt Finish, November 27, 2019
- Epic Neutral Bow Tie Quilt, June 12, 2018
Molas!: Patterns, Techniques & Projects for Colorful Applique
by Kate Mathews
- Great book that gives the history of Molas, great examples as well as instructions on making them. I shared this book during the Dust Off a Quilt Book Blog Hop\
- Dust Off a Quilt Book Blog Hop Mola Style (February 21, 2019)
by Kathy Brown
- Neutral lap quilt finished, September 29, 2017
- Progress and fun, April 11, 2017
by Mary Hickey
Available by ePattern or in the book Comfort and Joy - 14 Quilts for Christmas
Finishing up Winter Quilts, January 15, 2014
Quilt-Lovers' Favorites, Vol. 4by Better Homes and Gardens (2004)
Pattern: "Heaven's Stairway"
- My favourite scrappy quilt. Great pattern, lovely book.
- Post: Getting Ready for a Quilt Show, April 24, 2012
Quilter's Home: Winter
by Lois Krushina Fletcher, published by Martingale
- This made my favourite winter wall hanging, with the cardinal and winter bird house.
- Post: Finishing up Winter Quilts, January 15, 2014
Splashes of Color Pattern from allpeoplequilt.com
- A lovely and easy quilt pattern, free from allpeoplequilt.com. It's great for batiks.
- Post: Only 146 blocks to go! July 09, 2016
- Post: Update on Projects Nov. 9, 2016
Take Four Placemat Pattern
by Cary Flanagan
- A lovely pattern that is perfect for people who can't make 4 of exactly the same thing!
- Post: Placemat Extravaganza! June 14, 2013
Terrific T-Shirt Quilts by Karen M. Burns
- A very informative book full of great ideas as well as technical information. I couldn't have done the Great Hockey Jersey Quilt without it.
- Post: Great Hockey Jersey Quilt in the Making, Aug. 23, 2016
- Post: Final image in the Virtual Trunk Show, Nov. 18, 2016
Set the Table: 11 Designer Patterns for Table RunnersAdded: February 2015
|Set the Table, Published by Martingale|
|Shake Up Runner in pink and yellow|
|Shake Up Runner|
|Pink Lemonade for my niece|
I love the contrast of the white with the funky colours of the shapes. I decided to make all of the shapes the same colour. In the pattern, one of the shapes is a solid colour. I get the metaphor but loved these colours too much! I quilted it like it was done in the book, at 60 degrees to make the diamond.
Since the runner was going to Denmark to my brother and sister-in-law, I made a small hanging for my niece with the fabrics that she liked best from my stash.
What I learned:
- This is truly a lovely book. I'm looking forward to making more projects from it.
- My note in the book: "quilting at 60 degrees is long and tedious - must mark it". I learned that the hard way, since I didn't mark it and some of those lines were not so great!
Is the cardinal & birdhouse pattern still available?ReplyDelete
Hi Anne, yes, the cardinal and birdhouse pattern was taken from the book, The Quilter's Home: Winter by Lois Krushina Fletcher, published by Martingale. The project is the "Winter Vacancy" wall hanging. Here is the original post: https://quiltinglearningcombo.blogspot.com/2014/01/finishing-up-winter-quilts.html and here is the link to the book. https://www.shopmartingale.com/quilters-home-winter-ebook.htmlDelete
It's only available in E-book. I'll add this one to my page. Thanks. Enjoy!