After so much hand stitching and then quilting with my walking foot, I was getting desperate for some FMQ time!
I've been watching Angela Walters' latest FMQ Challenge on YouTube. She is doing some fun variations with the serpentine design, including a Plume Feather (links are in Related links below). I've been wanting to try the plume feather so this was the perfect opportunity. Here are my first three practice pieces.
|Third Plume feather with a border|
|First Plume feather|
|Second Plume feather |
within a diamond
FMQ the serpentine design is not my favourite, but again, now that I've practiced it, it's not so bad - and it is versatile, especially with the variations that Angela suggested.
|Practicing the serpentine design and adding variations|
|The serpentine design with feathers and a lotus flower|
Big Mandala & April OMG finish
I made this improv pieced Mandala for the first week of the Project Quilting Quarantine. Since the rules were slightly elastic because there were no prizes, I posted it even if it wasn't quite finished. I just had some beading and final FMQ to add. This is also my April One Monthly Goal (OMG), so it needs to be posted soon!
|BIG Mandala beaded|
|Details of the FMQ leaves in the last ring|
What I learned
- It was good to see improvements in my Plume feathers through the three pieces.
- I'm still struggling with the serpentine design. It seems that sometimes I get it and other times not so much.
- Angela said that it's easier to do the serpentine design in a smaller space such as 3" - 4" rather than 5" - 6". She's right - it's easier to keep the shape in a smaller space, but still not easy for me.
- I took my finished picture of the Big Mandala before I FMQ the last ring. When I realised this, I went back to take more pictures but it was very blustery - so only the detailed picture has the FMQ on the last ring.
- Angela Walters' latest Echoes and Curves Free-motion Challenge Quilting Along on YouTube
- The Plume Feather - Week 3
- Serpentine Lines Variations - week 2
- Machine Quilting Serpentine Lines: Week 1
- BIG Mandala to help heal the world - PQQ 2020, April 5, 2020
I'll be linking up to the April One Monthly Goal (OMG) Finish Link up as well as many other fun linky parties around the web. Let's go see what's happening and don't forget to link up to Free Motion Mavericks - it's not just about FMQ! Design Wall Monday, Monday Making, What I Made Monday, Off The Wall Friday, Friday Foto Fun, Beauties Pageant, Oh Scrap!, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2020, Colour & Inspiration Tuesday,
Free Motion MavericksThanks to everyone who linked up last time! There are some great quilting and quilting events to keep us productive and sane going on. Have you joined in any of them yet? Last link up Sandra of mmm! quilts had a lovely finish, even if she can't get it to her daughter quite yet. If you didn't see her Storm at Sea, go have a look!
|Storm at Sea by Sandra of mmm! quilts|