Welcome to Week 388 of Free Motion Mavericks! I hope that this pre-holiday weekend finds you well 😎. I've got a squirrel and a Summer Book Club update to share with you.
Blue Stripes for a Table Scraps Challenge
This week I was very restless so I grabbed my box of strips, picked out the blue ones (mostly) and started sewing. This is my favourite kinds of piecing! I made it all up as I went along with stripes on the horizontal and vertical while adding some other colours in the mix. As you can guess, this month's Table Scraps theme was stripes and the colours were bright or dark blue.
|Playing with blue stripes|
I started with the stripes but knew that I wanted to add more to it. What would happen if I added something on top of the stripes? Would it make a good background?
|Blue stripes...now what?|
I started jotting down ideas.
- Use hand-dyed scraps for the appliqué.
- Add complimentary colours - orange with blue.
- Look for flowers that would fit.
|Preparing a drawing and then cutting out fabric|
|In front of my thriving pink campion|
|Pretty purple flowers that are related to geranium|
|My flox are lovey|
I think that this runner has found it's new home in my living room 😊
|A new table runner for my living room|
Summer Book Club QAL 2022
At the beginning of June, I started getting ready for the Summer Book Club QAL. For some crazy reason, my One Monthly Goal (OMG) for June was to make 10 blocks. I don't know what I was thinking but I did come close. If I hadn't make the table runner, I might have reached my goal but since it's the book blocks that made me so restless, I probably wouldn't be in any shape to post about it! 😊
Here are my first four blocks.
|My first 4 lovely book blocks|
|The first 8 Tall Tale book blocks|
What I learned
- It was really weird how each of my blocks had several things that I had to redo. I just couldn't seem to focus on the piecing - my mind was all over the place.
- Finally, when I just started piecing together some blue stripes, all was well! The FMQ of the flower went well, although by the time that I had finished the rest of the FMQ, I was getting sloppy. I should have stopped but I wanted to get this ready for this post.
- It's like the foundation paper piecing wasn't mindless enough but not difficult enough to require my full attention. I'm going to have to work on that if I want to get past 8 blocks!
- I want to mention Bridget O'Flaherty, our guild's guest speaker for June. I realised through her presentation that I knew her work! In 2008 I got a calendar, Quilts: Canada The land we love. It was all of Bridget's work! This is when I discovered art quilting. Bridget still quilts but with an emphasis on sustainability.
- I have to apologize to my son for not working on his Version 2.0 quilt but I was too restless. I did start drawing some geology images from his towel though 😊
- Happy Canada Day and Fourth of July!
- June's OMG and Summer Book Club QAL, June 07, 2022
- Vesey Bulbs
- Summer Book Club Quilt-Along
- Kate Basti on Instagram
- Tall Tale pattern
- Bridget O'Flaherty
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties, including the June Table Scraps 2022 linking party! I managed to miss the DrEAMi Squirrel linkup again but you may as well check it out! Midweek Makers, Needle & Thread Thursday, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Beauty Pageant, Peacock Party, Patchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap!, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday,
Great news! Susan of Quilt Fabrications featured my runner in her Midweek Makers post! Thanks Susan 😊
Flower Power runner
Free Motion Mavericks
I hope that you've had a chance to work on some free motion quilting (FMQ) this week. Did you see the quilt that Gail from Quilting Gail had in the Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine? If you didn't, then check it out!
|Quilting Gail's Summer Sailing|
It's now your turn to link up!