|Best of 2016 Linky Party|
Since my blog is about Quilting and Learning, I thought that I would focus on the lessons I've put into practice this year as well as some of the lessons I learned the hard way!
Lessons Put Into Practice
- The lesson that I put most into practice was to use tape to mark off the edges of a quilt before doing FMQ. I did add to this lesson - place the tape very carefully or your edges won't be straight!!! (January 14 and Feb 19)
Taping the edge to stop FMQ Make sure the tape is straight.
- Practice drawing a stencil pattern before free motion quilting it. It's well worth the time. (January 2)
- If the project isn't turning out the way you want it to, put it aside for a while. (February 8 and March 30)
- The hardest lesson that I had to learn this year was a big one. Quilting started becoming a full time job and wasn't any fun. That's not where I wanted to be. I learned this in October after working on the Gaudi Cathedral Windows project. I was so disappointed with the results that I didn't even include it in my trunk show. (November 18)
New Techniques Learned
I tried many new techniques this year.
- I worked on an English Paper Piecing project (which is still a Work in Progress - WIP) (July 31)
- I learned to make a t-shirt quilt with the guidance of Terrific T-Shirt Quilts by Karen M. Burns (August 23)
|Great Hockey Jersey Quilt|
Parting Words of Wisdom
Here are a few things I've learned this year that may help you in your quilting.
- To colour or write on fabric, iron some freezer paper to the back of the fabric. This will stabilize it. (May 15)
- Account for your borders or finishing technique before you quilt it! (May 8)
- Beading is fun in moderation. (April 17)
- Free motion quilting is different when it's done on a larger scale. (June 24)
|A Beautiful Day Baby Quilt - with large scale FMQ|
I hope some of these lessons learned will help you learn from my mistakes! Participating blogs have linked to Meadow Mist Designs. Encourage the participants by viewing their posts. I've also linked to Needle and Thread Thursday, Midweek Maker, Off the Wall Fridays, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?
Thanks for coming by. Happy New Year!