|Finished quilt top of the SAHRR Challenge|
|Half square triangles waiting to be stitched together|
|Cutting down my pinwheel blocks|
I cut down the pinwheel blocks to 6", which is still 2" larger than most of my blocks but it works. I added an extra hour-glass block at the top and a tiny square within a square block at the bottom.
Here is a look at some of my favourite parts of this quilt.
|Top rows of the quilt. I love my wonky stars and flying geese|
|More flying geese and some hour glass blocks|
After all of this work, I still love my centre block, although it's no longer in the centre!
|Centre block - still sweet!|
- Thinking through the size of my pinwheel block would have been the smart thing to do, before I started making it.
- On the other hand, this block is much more accurate than many of my other ones. It's very possible that working with larger pieces of fabric helped. I'll have to give that some thought!
- Looking at my finished top, I realise that some of the fabrics that I thought were quite bright are not bright at all when placed beside really bright fabric. The second pinwheel just blends in, even though it has small bright birds on it. Something else to think about😊
- I also learned to add fabric between blocks to make the rows and columns work.
- The tiny square within a square block at the bottom of that column was made as an experiment. I'm glad that I was able to include it. I really do seem to like smaller blocks - too bad they are more difficult to sew accurately!
- I'm really glad that I participated in this challenge. It was a lot of fun and I learned so much! Thanks to Quilting Gail and all of her friends for a great time!
Free Motion Mavericks
|A runner FMQ by Melva|
|See the issue of McCall's Quilting in Gail's post|