Welcome to Free Motion Mavericks, week 308. The stars on the Pinwheels & Stars Baby Quilt are done. In this post I'm going to wrap up the free motion quilting (FMQ) of the stars and plan the next part of the quilt.
FMQ star designs
At the end of July, I proposed seven possible FMQ designs for the six stars on the quilt. By November, here is what I ended up with. If you missed any of the posts, the links are in Related links below.
Making plans for the negative space
I designed the quilt so that the centre could almost be a wholecloth quilt. I've made a couple of quilts like this and love that some of the sides have blocks but that the centre is all negative space. This time, I'm going to be brave about FMQ the centre. It's going to be in colourful thread that will NOT blend in! That is a very scary thing to do, but I do believe that if the centre part is well planned and practiced, that it should be fine! This is not a project to do the night before it's due 😮
Here is the quilt so far.
|All of the pinwheel and star blocks have been FMQ|
|A better image taken during the day |
This is my initial idea for FMQ the centre.
|A space theme to go with the stars|
- It's been a lot of fun finding and practicing various FMQ designs.
- This is the scary part - but as I mentioned, planning and practice should help me do this well (not perfect, but good enough).
- I will also have to deal with some of the puckering in the fabric in the middle of the quilt. I will undo the stitching at the end where there are no blocks, so that will help.
- I love researching the various elements to figure out how to represent them - how to draw them, where to put them and what colours to use. This is where the various elements of creating art come in - such as focal point, mouvement, contrast, etc.
- I also have to learn to draw that spaceship! 😊
- Pinwheels and Stars Baby Quilt related posts
- FMQ Star blocks related posts
- Stars with Swirl Hooks & Flames on Free Motion Mavericks, November 12, 2020
- FMQ a simple star on Free Motion Mavericks, October 15, 2020
- Sparkling Star on Free Motion Mavericks, September 17, 2020
- Seeing stars with Free Motion Mavericks, September 03, 2020
- FMQ the first star on Free Motion Mavericks, August 6, 2020
- Planning to Quilt Stars on Free Motion Mavericks, July 23, 2020
- FMQ Pinwheel blocks related posts
- Links to the FMQ designs for the star blocks
- Star Struck at Seams French
- AQS Blog - 25 Ohio Star Quilting Designs
- Leah Day - How to Machine Quilt a Sun Star Block
- Leah Day - How to Machine Quilt Flame Flower #36 and the YouTube video
- GF Quilts on Flicker
- Angela Walters, 4 Ways To Machine Quilt Star Blocks: Week 4 Free-motion Challenge Quilting Along
- Links to some of the FMQ designs for pinwheels that I found (as posted on May 13, 2020).
Free Motion Mavericks
|Look at all the texture on that little quilt |
by the Joyful Quilter