Free Motion Mavericks (Week 214)
On my last post of Free Motion Mavericks, I shared my attempts at creating our logo with my own free motion quilting (FMQ) writing. A few readers were surprised to find out that it was possible to write using FMQ, so I thought that I would share some writing from my piece, A White History of Art. It's much easier to write in FMQ when the thread blends with the fabric!
|Writing with FMQ: WHITE, austere and Elite
Funky Square Flower
For this week's post, I decided to learn to FMQ the Square Flower in Lori Kennedy's Free-Motion Machine Quilting 1-2-3.
|Start by drawing the design - in this case, the Square Flower
As always, the first thing I did was to practice drawing it. This was one of the pretty pages - the rest of my practicing was on scraps of paper!
|Chevy can't resist a quilt on the floor
It was difficult practicing on the light fabric since I could barely see the white thread. It did come out on the darker fabrics.
|Funky Square Flowers
|More Square Flowers designed by Lori Kennedy
|Flowers on the back of the quilt
|A row of Square Flowers
- I really like the funky look of these square flowers. They are so much fun, and can be made with the centre in the middle of the space, or at one side for a lopsided flower.
- Having something sandwiched and ready to practice FMQ makes my practice much less of a bother.
- Free Motion Mavericks Link-up, January 16, 2019
- A White History of Art - Art with Fabric Blog Hop, November 6, 2018
- Free-Motion Machine Quilting 1-2-3 by Lori Kennedy
I'll be linking up to these great linky parties. Let's go see what the fuss is about! Tuesday Colour Linky Party, Midweek Makers, Silly Mama Quilts WIPs, Needle & Thread Thursday, Finished or Not Friday, Friday Foto Fun, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?,
A big thank you to Anja for linking up her Freefall Finish when I sent her a plea by email. A party with no guests is just too sad! Check out her lovely quilt!
Inlinkz Link Party