Since it's the beginning of August, it's time to:
- Clean my machine (I do this at the beginning of each month),
- Write about my August One Monthly Goal (OMG), and
- Update you on my projects.
One Monthly Goal (OMG) for August
I started another project (yes, I know...it's getting a little ridiculous!) It's the result of the many workshops that I'm following virtually! My OMG for August is from last week's TextileArtist.org's workshop with Haf Weighton, a textile artist from Wales. Our assignment is to stitch up a medal or other embroidered piece using words and appliqué.
I'm making a mini wall hanging for my daughter - with a saying that we've seen around and have been using to encourage each other: "ça va bien aller"
|Mini wall quilt for my daughter|
I found an amazing background fabric and added some of her favourite fabrics. Here is a detailed look at the applique and stitching.
|Close-up of "ça va bien aller"|
I have been doing a lot of hand-stitching but I just don't have the energy or time to do this one all by hand. I used some lovely, fine silk thread to stitch down the appliqué. The piece is now ready for batting, backing and free motion quilting (FMQ). I will probably add more embroidery and maybe some beads - we'll see if it needs it and if I have the time 😊
This is where the saying comes from - I think that someone's artistic grandchildren in the neighbourhood drew this in late May. Chevy wasn't impressed but she did wait for me to take a few pictures.
|The first time that I saw the expression, "ça va bien aller"|
Slow Stitching Update
next piece is from the workshop of a couple of weeks ago with Gregory T. Wilkins (it's the subject of my last post - see Related links below). I made the marks on eight panels using the Colour Vie pigment system and anything I could get my hands on such as a fork, a silk flower, stamps and stencils.
I've been working on Panel 4 ever since and I have to admit that I'm really, really loving it. I think that it's even better than regular embroidery because I don't have to be precise 😊 (and we all know that I'm accuracy challenged!)
|Marks and Stitches in progress|
|Enjoying the randomness of the stitching|
|Two daisies embroidered with my hand-dyed thread|
The only other piece that I've worked on a little bit is my Traveller's Blanket.
|Traveller's Blanket update|
I've been working on a few additional meditation stitches pieces as well as hexies to add to the blanket. I'm looking forward to adding them to it.
Dyeing more gray fabric
In my last post I said that I would like to dye some more gray fabric - well I did. I ended up dyeing a good piece of cotton that I knew would hold the dye. Even though this new fabric was in the dye bath for over 24 hours, the colour is a lot like the last one except that some yellow managed to peek through! I also ended up dyeing more perle cotton which turned out a lovely blue-gray colour. The fabric underneath it was a white-on-white.
|Gray fabric with streaks of yellow|
|White-on-white fabric and perle cotton now a lovely gray|
What I learned
- The two gray fabrics above are more closely related in colour - it's the daylight that affected the pictures - so who knows what the colour really is😊
- I left my Marks and Stitches piece in the living room with my threads so that I was able to get to it often during the last few days. It's great to have a project on hand to play with. I will probably rotate them so that I can work on more than one!
- Can you tell that I'm really liking all of these projects? This week is my turn to host Free Motion Mavericks so after cleaning my machine, I'll have to FMQ at least one star. Remember to come by to check it out!
- I have so many projects on the go that I've decided to TRY to avoid starting new projects. It's too bad because Cas Holmes is presenting this week for our Stitch Club 2020 but I can get to her workshop later. I just have to give myself more time to get a few things finished.
I'll be linking up with Muv at Free Motion Mavericks
and August's One Monthly Goal link up
as well as other fun linky parties. Let's see what's going on out there! Monday Making
, Design Wall Monday
, Colour & Inspiration Tuesday
, To-Do Tuesday
, Midweek Makers
, Off The Wall Friday
, Peacock Party
, Finished or Not Finished Friday
, Put Your Foot Down
, Friday Foto Fun
, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Slow Sunday Stitching