Sunday, February 09, 2020

I heart Project Quilting

This week on Project Quilting, Challenge 11-3 was "Put a 💖 on it!"

Scrappy Heart Journal Cover

For those who read my blog, you will have noticed that I'm on a free motion quilted (FMQ) journal cover kick! My last post was about " A production of quilted journal covers". Since I'm on a roll, I thought that I would try out a few things on my latest journal cover.

What do you get when you:
  • Make scrappy fabric
  • Free motion quilt it to an inch of it's life
  • Using variegated thread
To make a FMQ journal cover?
You get this....
A FMQ Scrappy Heart Journal Cover!
It figures that this very scrappy FMQ journal cover is my best one yet, construction wise - just not design wise. I did learn a lot from this one!
The back of the scrappy journal cover
Scrappy quilt cover with elastic




















I even used some scrappy pieces to make the inside of the cover. I love it!

Scrappy even on the inside!
What I learned
  • In hindsight, I should have done ONE of the three things (scrappy, or densely FMQ, or used variegated thread). Using all three was just too much since they all add a lot visually to the piece. 
  • FMQ on scrappy fabric calls for either one overall design or a FMQ design that is simple and follows the fabric.
  • Variegated thread adds a lot to a piece. It really wasn't needed here - it's too much!
Related links
Linking parties
I will be linking up, with a couple of hours to spare, to Project Quilting, Put a Heart on It - Challenge 11-3. Let's go see what quilters have put a heart on! Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Oh Scrap!, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, Midweek Makers, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Finished or Not Finished Friday,  TGIFF, Beauties Pageant, Peacock Party,


10 comments:

  1. Fun way to get a heart into your project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think it is too much - love it. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy. Since I've had other similar comments, I guess that I have to face the fact that I like more subdued things, even if with lots of colour. Good to know!

      Delete
  3. Love your journal cover, especially with the quilted heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan and thanks so much for featuring it on Midweek Maker!

      Delete
  4. Not too much, it looks great. Keep in mind some people like a lot of bling and it would be very pleasing to their eye. My sister thinks more bling is better. Thank you again for linking up. Oh and btw, congrats on the 350.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, I know that I like bright things, but I get bright colour is not the same as bling :-) I will have to reevaluate my assumptions. Thanks!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)