Hi! I'm cutting it pretty close but they are done - my niece's curtains for her cottage bedroom. These are my September One Monthly Goal (OMG).
Tab top curtains in buffalo red & black plaid flannel
This was the first time that I made tab top curtains. In my curtain making days, we made a sleeve to pull it though. These curtains weren't very difficult but I'm really glad that I didn't have to buy a pattern. YouTube can be pretty wonderful.
|Buffalo red and black plaid flannel curtains|
I watched the DIY Tab Top Curtains YouTube video by Online Fabric Store - I have included the link in the Related links section below. The tutorial was very good but I do find the music distracting. Anyway, after watching it a few times, I made some notes, cut my fabric and that's as far as I got. My poor niece had to wait a few months for these but finally here they are😊
Before this, I had never heard of buffalo red and black plaid. Again....thank you Google! I found the fabric at Funky Monkey. My niece bought 2½ meters but really, 3 meters would have been better. I forgot about the flannel shrinkage. The fabric is from Kaufman and it's the nicest flannel I've ever worked with. Wow, I guess that's what quality flannel is like!
|Chain stitching the tabs|
|Sewing down the facing with the walking foot|
- The fall weather has finally re-activated my brain. I was able to slowly think this project through and get it done. The OMG deadline was also a motivator - thanks Patty at Elm Street Quilts.
- Sewing curtains is not the same since I'm now a quilter. I'm the first to admit that I don't really like piecing but all of that work paid off for learning techniques that are very transferable.
- It may have taken several months, but taking my time, watching the video several times, making notes and being organised really helped me make the curtains.
- I was very anxious about making these because I knew that I didn't have ANY extra fabric for making mistakes! For an accuracy challenged quilter, that's a lot of extra stress 😊
- DIY Tab Top Curtains YouTube video by Online Fabric Store
- Funky Monkey Fabrics
- Robert Kaufman Fabrics - Red from Mammoth
- Christina Cameli's Free-Motion Quilted Gifts course on Craftsy
I'll be linking up with Patty for the September OMG. Let's see what others were able to finish up! I will also be linking up to many fun linking parties. Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, What I Made Monday, Colour & Inspiration Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Friday Foto Fun, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Beauties Pageant, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Peacock Party, Patchwork & Quilts,