Thursday, July 20, 2023

A Gorgeous Red Basket on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 440 of Free Motion Mavericks. I hope that you've had a good week. I haven't done much until yesterday but I now have a pretty red basket to share with you.

Making A Gorgeous Red Basket


When I made the microwave fabric bowls in March for the Table Scraps Challenge, I promised one to a friend who said that they were so pretty that she wouldn't use it in the microwave because they might get dirty. Rather, she would use it as a bowl or holder. So, remembering this, I decided to make a red basket for July's challenge. Since this month's letters are A and G, I'm going for A Gorgeous Red Basket 😊

A Gorgeous Red Basket

I've made these types of baskets before, following Christina Cameli's Free-Motion Quilted Gifts course on Craftsy. It's also the course that I follow to make the agenda covers.

I started off with a red piece of hand-dyed fabric from my friend Elaine's scraps. I quilted it with triangles and match stick FMQ. It got pretty tedious by the end, but I did it! I tried to do this in a meditative manner but eventually gave up on that and just listened to music!

FMQ alternate triangles with match stick stitches

Of course I managed to cut the fabric for the quilted piece too small, so I made the lining just slightly smaller than the outside. While I was FMQ, I remembered that the project was supposed to be red and scrappy, so I made this very scrappy lining.

A scrappy red lining

Putting the basket together went fairly well. I'm happy to say that my stitch ripper was not overused!

Here are a few pictures from last night.

You can peek in and see the lining!

Here's another peek!

How appropriate - Mr. Coffee Bean is getting a medium roast in the sun!

Here are some garden pictures from this morning 😎

Hen and a basket!

A Gorgeous Red Basket and White Roses!


Same flowers and basket from two different angles!




















What I learned
  • I was trying to be so careful about cutting things the right size but somehow, I cut the outside fabric too small. At least it wasn't difficult to adjust the lining to fit.
  • The basket is more square than it should be, but that's ok!
  • I used a lovely variegated pink and yellow thread to do the match stick FMQ. I think that it looks great.
  • The red scraps had been pulled for another project but there are enough for both projects! It was nice that they had been sorted already. Most of my scraps are by colour, but in batches - so that red is with yellow, orange and pink. I don't have enough scraps of each colour for their own basket (except for blue!). 
  • The outside strip is from some great coffee bean fabric that I bought a while back. I have it in peach and blue. It's soooo cute!
  • I didn't make a strap for this basket since it was so small, but I just re-read my posts and discovered that I had used a lanyard under the fabric to make the handles. What a great idea. 
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out? Also, remember to link up below! I'll be linking up to the ABC Table Scraps Challenge as soon as the link opens up. Design Wall Monday, Sew & Tell, Midweek Makers, Put your foot down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Off The Wall Friday, Finished (or Not) Friday, Peacock Party, TGIFFPatchwork & Quilts, Oh Scrap!, 15 minutes to stitch 2023


Free Motion Mavericks

Last week Donnalee did some meandering FMQ with invisible thread. It worked out really well. Way to go Donnalee!

Check out Donnalee's meandering FMQ with invisible thread!


Gail has made another gorgeous Hugs and Kisses quilt - this one for charity. She used her 3″ and 4″ Cupid rulers to quilt it. It's so full of loving hearts!

Gail's Hugs and Kisses quilt for charity

Anja or Anja Quilts made a lovely mini to swap with one of her guild mates. Isn't it cute with that fussy cut tiger? She made it specifically to practice her FMQ skills. Way to go!

Anja's Mini quilt to practice FMQ

It's now your turn.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

13 comments:

  1. Sweet basket. Thanks for joining Sew & Tell. :) As well as the chance to share in your party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Gail, it was fun to make - I love sewing scraps together. Adjusting the project because of my miscalculations is par for the course lol.

      Delete
  3. Isn't that sweet of you!! she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alycia. She saw a photo and is looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. Very fun scrappy basket! You have some very pretty red scraps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. Playing with them reminded me that I should also make the red section of that UFO. At least I know where they are! 😆

      Delete
  5. Qu'il est beau ce panier ! Bravo pour le FMQ, les triangles ressortent bien, et cette couleur de fil est parfaite. Heureusement qu'il restait la doublure intérieure pour utiliser quelques chutes de tissus ;)) Ton panier est très élégant avec ce revers en finition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. Je suis heureuse avec le résultat, et mon amie l'est aussi!

      Delete
  6. Lovely RED quilted basket, Andree! Thanks for joining the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge. See you next month for the YELLOW edition! :o))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much hosting the party. I really need to make that yellow runner soon!

      Delete
  7. That's such a fun little basket, Andree! Your quilting is amazing! Do you have a tutorial for your baskets? I'd enjoy making something like that!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)