Hi! I hope that you're enjoying the rest of the fall.🍂 It's my favourite season and it's been wonderful with a week of sun. 🌞 My project celebrates the wonders of fall.
Swirling Leaves 2
I've made some progress on the wall hanging. The improv blocks have been stitched together and the first narrow border is attached. It took me a few days to decide on the larger border. I even posted what I thought was my choice on Instagram, but then changed my mind!
The first border was attached after I found this fat quarter in my stash. The leaves haven't been appliquéd yet so you'll see that they change around in the pictures 😊
|First border up|
|My first choice that I posted on Instagram|
I then found a few fabrics that might work. After eliminated a couple of them, I sent the picture to a girlfriend. We both picked the top left fabric. It's got some red without being too pink.
|Choosing a new outer border|
I then opened up the fabric, placed it on my design wall with the quilt top in front of it. I've lived with it for a couple of days and have decided that this is it! With the exception of moving two of the leaves, this will be the final design.
|Almost the final design|
I can't wait to start free motion quilting (FMQ) it. It will probably be this week's Free Motion Maverick project since I'm still struggling with what to quilt on Version 2.0.
What I learned
- I had originally planned to use the same fabric for the borders as the original Swirling Leaves. But then, what's the fun in that! I also wanted to see if I could make it a little more modern looking. I'm not sure if I've achieved that, but we'll see when it's done.
- The border is Fusions from the Ombre Collection by Darcel Phillips for Robert Kaufman. I really love it and thought that it might be one of their permanent collections, but it doesn't seem to be. Oh well, at least I got to use it in this project. I still have enough for another border, if I decide to use it on my third Swirling Leaves (which will be a table runner.)
- Although it isn't finished, this is my Table Scraps Challenge project for October. It's Joyful and there is a tiny bit of light/lime green in some of the leaves! I had other plans but they fell through. The good thing is that I could make them another month!