Sunday, April 10, 2022

Journal Cover for Quilting Agenda

Hi! This project is a Squirrel as well as a useful way to procrastinate. More about the procrastination later 😊 

Mark Making 

I'm always nervous about working with paint but the few times that I've painted on fabric, the results were interesting and relatively successful for a beginner. I've been using Colour Vie pigment system which was created for Gunnel Hag, a amazing artist who became allergic to the paints she needed to create her surface designed fabrics. She's a Canadian artist who spoke at one of our Out Of The Box Textile Artists' group a few years ago. I've bought a few pieces of her fabric and made my last agenda journal cover with one of those pieces. When I saw that she had a couple of online courses, I tried out the "Make your mark" course.

Finished agenda cover

I started by painting the first piece of fabric. I was hoping to get some nice purple where the blue and red meet but that didn't work out so well. Once it had dried a little bit, I added marks on top. 

There was a bit of paint on the plastic underneath the fabric, so I imprinted the next piece of fabric with it and then started making various marks. You can see below a square jar that has elastics and cord around it. Those are the marks on the fabric.

Paint and marks
Making marks using the jar wrapped with cord















This was my second piece. I used an assortment of items to make the marks - a fork, a potato masher, the bottom of a plastic container, lids etc. I did figure out a few things that will make my next practice pieces better.

Marks on the fabric

Adding stitches

I've been using a perpetual agenda since January 2020 but I was running out of pages. Here it is, made from Gunnel Hag's fabric. 

Agenda cover made from Gunnel Hag's fabric

You can understand why I was reluctant to switch agenda's. I could have re-used the cover but I want to keep the agenda the way it is. It seems to be an integral part of it and was used a great deal in the last two years.

I wondered if I should over-paint the piece but decided to see what adding thread would do. Instead of free motion quilting (FMQ) the whole panel, I only quilted what I needed and was able to use the extra pieces for the inside of the cover.

FMQ fabric

I used four different variegated threads to quilt it. I looked through my FMQ journal to find designs to play with. It was great re-visiting the designs - some of which I haven't used in quite a while.

I measured many times and the journal cover came together without any issues. I used Christina Cameli's Free Motion Quilted Gifts on Craftsy. 

Front of the Agenda

The sides of the cover are made with the extra fabric that wasn't FMQ

Back of the cover

You can see the whole agenda cover here.

Front of the agenda with the elastic

I really love it. It went from a simple design on the fabric to something much more complex. That is a very good lesson to learn! 😊

Procrastinating

My first procrastination is in writing this post instead of starting to fill in my new 2022 quilting agenda. I'm almost afraid to see everything that I have going on in the next two months. That is why I made the cover....but it's going to be hectic!

My second procrastination is from working on my next slow stitching project that will be in the ArtPontiac show. I think that it's been over a year since I last worked on it. This is the last photo that I found of it, but there is more done (thank goodness!) More about this piece soon I hope!

Beaded and embroidered piece on biodiversity
 

What I learned

  • As I mentioned, adding the FMQ was essentially over-painting with thread. That means that making simple designs with paint can lead to some lovely, more complex fabrics.
  • When I added the paint to the mark-making items, I should have used a brayer or some other way of adding an even layer of paint on the objects. There's nothing wrong with uneven marks but it might look more professional if it was even. This would be especially good for items like the potato masher.
  • It would be great to make another journal cover, but this time to actually plan where the marks would go. I wish that I could have put the large circles at the front of the cover, although they are interesting on the spine.

Related links

Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun parties. Let's see what's going on! Patchwork & Quilts, Slow Sunday Stitching, Off the Wall Friday, Put Your Foot Down, Beauties Pageant, Peacock PartyMonday Making,

Project details



2022 Quilting Agenda cover
5¾" x 8½"
Materials: Fabric marked with Colour Vie, variegated thread
Techniques: mark making, FMQ and sewing





12 comments:

  1. Your journal cover is a triumph, Andree! LOVE those colours singing together and the patterns you have created are terrific. The Biodiversity piece is magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim. I spent some time filling in the agenda so it's going to be very useful. I'm still procrastinating when it comes to the Biodiversity piece but at least I'm still stitching! Take care.

      Delete
  2. The journal cover looks wonderful! I love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oui je comprends pourquoi tu as du mal à te séparer de l'agenda précédent, il est magnifique. Mais le nouveau est superbe aussi ! Bravo pour les traces, puis le quilting qui unifie l'ensemble, j'aime beaucoup !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci bien Frédérique. J'ai pris du temps aujourd'hui pour commencer à le remplir! Il sera bien utile pour une année. :-)

      Delete
  4. Your procrastination piece is gorgeous! I like your journal cover paint experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathie. I'm looking forward to more experimenting....but not quite yet! Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  5. Fabric painting is one of my favourite things to do, and yet I haven't done any for such a long time. Thanks for reminding me how wonderful the process is!
    And PS... stop procrastinating the finish on that fabulous biodiversity piece... it's amazing and the world wants to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kathy :-) I'm on it! I hope that you'll find time to paint on fabric some time soon. Take care.

      Delete
  6. Lovely finish. By keeping the journals in tact you can also see yourself progress in your craft. Thank you for linking up another beautiful finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, I hadn't thought of that. Take care.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)