These were taken this morning at Parks Canada Place in Gatineau Quebec. I was lucky that it was decorated for Christmas and fairly quiet.
|Draped quilt lounging around|
|Are we ready for Christmas yet?|
|Enjoying the decorations - do I spy a reindeer?|
|A closeup lounging shot|
|The lovely folded quilt pose|
Finally we need to have the full view shot.
|The Epic Bow Tie Neutral Quilt|
What I learned
- I used a quilting ruler to make the straight lines within the snowball. It took me a while to get the hang of it and then I decided to try to just "eyeball" it - and it worked well. It did go better when I turned the quilt around so that I was quilting towards myself. I can FMQ in all directions when I'm quilting a curly design, but I found it much harder for a straight line.
- I really love the sun design. I'm sure that I could adapt it for other sizes.
- It was good to use just a few FMQ designs, although I have to admit that I did get bored with those straight lines.
- I used silk batting for this quilt - it FMQ so beautifully!
- I bought more fabric to add extra light fabrics for the background but I used only one of them since the others were too yellowish. I'm going to keep an eye out for beige fabrics since they're not easy to find.
- If I were to do it again, there are a couple of fabrics that I used as background that I wouldn't use since they were too close in value to the lighter brown fabrics in the snowball.
- I used a scrappy binding. My only rule is that the fabric in the binding cannot be the same as the block next to it. I've made that mistake once and I have learned from it!
- I just love the look of a freshly washed quilt. The texture is just so beautiful. I'm glad that I waited to take pictures until I had washed it. Now I just need to add a label and my friend will finally get her quilt.
- Epic Neutral Bow Tie Quilt related posts
- FMQ a neutral quilt on Free Motion Mavericks, November 6, 2019
- Epic Neutral Quilt Top is Done, September 30, 2019
- Finally progress on the Epic Neutral Bow Tie Quilt, September 3, 2019
- Progress on Hexie and Neutral Quilts, July 26, 2018
- Epic Neutral Bow Tie Quilt, June 12, 2018
- Make Modern magazine: Issue 22, May-June 2018
I will be linking this baby to Free Motion Mavericks as well as the November One Monthly Goal (OMG) finish link up. 😊 Colour and Inspiration Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Put your foot down, TGIFF, Friday Foto Fun, Design Wall Monday, What I Made Monday, Monday Making, Colour and Inspiration Tuesday, To-do Tuesday,
Great news! The Epic Neutral Bow Tie Quilt was featured on Susan's Midweek Makers! Thanks Susan :-) August 20, 2020: Show Me Something Free Motion Link Up
Epic Bow Tie Neutral Quilt
Pattern by Jen Van Orman from Make Modern (Issue 22, May-June 2018)
47" x 59"
Material: cotton, silk batting