|Growing Up QAL with Alida|
Growing up QAL for August
|Getting block 8 done on time!|
I had to write this post to link up my finished Growing up QAL block which is a Bargello block. This was the first time that I had done one, although I have admired them from afar for a long time.
|Block 8 - Bargello|
I've posted all of my finishes but if anyone has missed them, here's a recap.
One Monthly Goal for August
I managed to finish my August goal early! It was my lovely Hexie Table Topper.
I've been working on a few ideas for more hexies. After playing around I figured out that I like the pieces that have some consistency in the colour combinations.
I've been making more hexies with at least 6 hexies of the same fabric, so that I'll have at least one flower of the same colour. I love playing around with combinations and should have a few ideas to show you soon.
|Neutral Lap Quilt FMQ block|
One Monthly Goal for July
My goal for July was to finish quilting and binding my Neutral Lap Quilt - Take 5 Loves Coffee Milk. It didn't happen in July, but I did finish it this week. I only have to make a label for it. I'll be posting the results of this project within the next couple of weeks!
Learning QAL Goal for August
|Whimsical Daisy appliqued block|
Finally my goal for the August Learning QAL was to dye my own fabric. I was very good at procrastinating! I cleaned up and inventoried my quilting supplies, made an cute applique block and finished the second Classy and Scrappy placemat!
|Classy side of the placemat|
But I did it! I finally got my act together and dyed my own fabric!
It took quite a while to get it to dry but it's done. Now I just have to make something with that amazingly colourful fabric :-)
I couldn't resist - I took a picture of Chevy watching me lay out the fabric to dry on the lawn. She was not impressed with the fact that I wouldn't let her join me outside! Can you image a hand-dyed doggy?
|Chevy - not allowed to play|
with the dyed fabric!
What I learned
- Procrastinating can be very productive. Maybe not for the project you're supposed to make, but for everything else that you procrastinate with!
- I was getting tired of making hexies with no goal in mind. Now that I've picked out a few fabrics to make a few hexies from, it's given me some encouragement. I can't wait to see what combinations I can come up with. It's like making a puzzle but with fabric - how can it get any better?
- I've been thinking about my month of September since I have an Art with Fabric Blog Hop coming up in early October. I hope that I'm not being overly ambitious but only time will tell!
- I also have to come up with a learning goal for the September Learning QAL. The easy thing would be to make the Art with Fabric piece the goal, but then I wouldn't be showing it off till two weeks later, so I don't think that's going to work. Well, I have a day to think about it. No pressure :-)
- Hexie Table Topper, August 6, 2017
- Whimsical Daisy in Cleaning Up and Procrastinating, August 13, 2017
- Classy & Scrappy 2, August 23, 2017
- Learning QAL August Sum Up - the dyeing process, August 24, 2017
- Results of Learning to Dye Fabric, August 28, 2017
I am linking this post to the Growing up QAL link-up. I will also be linking up to many other linky parties. Join in the fun and see what others are doing! Linky Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Let's Bee Social, Needle & Thread Thursday, Off the Wall Friday, Finished or Not Friday, Can I get a Whoop Whoop?, Oh Scrap!, MOP Monday, Main Crush Monday,
The September Learning Goal Setting Link-up will be open from September 1st to 10th, 2017. You have a few more days to figure out what you want to learn this month. Join in the fun - you can even win a terrific learning prize!