Thursday, June 11, 2020

Trying more FMQ designs with Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 284 of Free Motion Mavericks. I'm trying more free motion quilting (FMQ) designs for the Pinwheels and Stars Baby Quilt. 

FMQ more pinwheel blocks


Here are two more pinwheel blocks, FMQ using different designs.

pinwheel blocks quilted with triangles
Echoing the triangle in the background fabric


Pinwheel block with borders and inside petals
These blocks have inside borders and
flower petals in the middle

Here is an image of the designs that I had presented when I was planning the FMQ.

Various FMQ designs for the pinwheel blocks
Blocks 1 and 2 were quilted for the last post.
Today I quilted variations of 3 and 4.

What I learned
  • I am really tired today - and I still have to do my FMQ for this post. I am so grateful that I have those drawn quilting options for the pinwheels. It made it fairly easy to choose the design - what ever looked easiest!
  • Since I have to be careful with my FMQ when I'm tired, I only quilted the echoing in the background triangles. If it looks sparse, I can always go back and add the echoing to the other blocks. However, I suspect that I will leave it since not having any quilting on the printed fabric makes the pinwheels pop.
  • Have you noticed that the flower petals are all slightly different in each block? Let's just call that a design element and leave it at that 😊 
Related links
  • Pinwheels on Free Motion Mavericks, May 27, 2020
  • Baby Quilt at Free Motion Mavericks, May 13, 2020
  • I found the magazine that was the original inspiration for this quilt. The pattern was called Make A Wish. It was designed by Karen DuMont and appeared in the Quilt Almanac 2011. I'm sure that it was the cheerful fabrics that attracted me.
Linking parties
I will be linking up to many fun linking parties. Make sure to link up what ever you're working on below! Midweek Makers, Colour & Inspiration Tuesday, Needle & Thread ThursdayFriday Foto FunOh Scrap!, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, What I Made Monday, 


Free Motion Mavericks


We had a good turnout last time. Thanks so much for taking the time to link up, with FMQ projects or anything else. You make the party worthwhile! Today I want to feature Rebecca Grace at Cheeky Cognoscenti for her special "Happy Birthday to Me! 47 Is Gonna Be My Year of Fearless Free-Motion and Ruler Work Quilting". We have to celebrate her spirit of fearlessness because she's finally loving to FMQ on her longarm. If you didn't read it, go check out her post!

See the Cheeky Cognoscenti's post
Now it's your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

4 comments:

  1. You are a good planner. Usually I just load a quilt and go, sometimes I draw up a few designs for quilting. Rarely. I cant wait to see this finish because I loved the quilt so much. Thank you for the linky party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise, I almost never plan my FMQ but I've lived to regret it a few times, so it's great that I took the time for this project because FMQ it every two weeks is a lot of time to forget! I didn't get to it this time but I'm hoping to have more than 2 quilted for the next time!

      Delete
  2. What is so great about this, is that there is so much variety that there is little distinction between pre-emptively deliberate design elements and those that are deliberate in retrospect. :D so go for it! Hoping you have rested well and and feel refreshed. Thanks for sharing at the Chameleon's Colour & Inspiration party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dione. Not so sure about rested and refreshed but I'm slowly back at it. These days the making is easier than the blogging but things will eventually get back to normal...right? Take care.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)