Hi and welcome to week 409 of Free Motion Mavericks. Can you believe that it's already December? I'm happy to say that today I woke up to the Sun and everything covered with a dusting of snow 😎. I hope that it will stay. I like it much better than what seemed to be never-ending rain we had yesterday! I guess it's a reminder that all things, good and bad, come to an end.😊
Free Motion Quilting Games
Version 2.0 is becoming a very collaborative quilt. My son sent me pictures of two of the games that he plays. They have now been incorporated onto the quilt.
|Magic and Skyrim images on Version 2.0|
|Skyrim Compass in the lower black stripe and|
squares, rectangles and circles in the tan stripe above it.
These are the images that I worked from. I drew out those beautiful Celtic knots and then FMQ in the various designs (in red below).
|Images of the various designs|
|Drawing the outline in|
|Adding the designs to the Compass|
After I FMQ the Magic designs in the square, I added swirls to fill in the space.
|Magic designs added to the quilt|
|Filling the space with lots of swirls 😊|
Adding the Sun
|Drawing out the Sun|
|Template of the Sun area|
Since there were a lot of straight lines and one very large circle, my friend suggested that I might want to use the walking foot. Although it's not as fun as FMQ, it's a lot more accurate on straight lines. It made for a lot of twisting of the quilt but it worked out very well. Next will come the fun FMQ part, although it's still intimidating since it's on such a large area. Oh well, one section at a time 😊!
What I learned
- I really enjoyed FMQ those Celtic knots for the Skyrim Compass. They are so pretty! It took me a while to figure them out but after that it was simple to quilt.
- Working with the yellow Golden Threads quilting paper made it easier for me to FMQ the designs accurately-ish!
- I used the designs that my son had provided for the Magic game, but it wasn't really enough to fill in the space, so I Googled it and found a few interesting designs that I could add to it. It was great learning more about the game. I can see why he loves it!
- I thought that I might have overdone it with the swirls but my son said it was awesome, so I guess it worked!
- It was a great idea to use the walking foot to quilt the Sun. I hope that it won't be too obvious when I add my own FMQ around it. I have to remind myself that it's a huge quilt and that these kinds of things won't stand out within the whole.
- I'm pretty proud of myself for drawing out the Sun. I used the largest plastic lid that I have :-) and then actually used a protractor (I had to Google the name!) to measure the angles to draw the Sun's rays. The Sun is one of those things that I can't seem to FMQ, even on a much smaller scale.
- Next will come the rest of the Sun. I also have to finish a few of the areas such as the Travel Adventures, the First Nations and scenes of Canada spaces.
- Last few Version 2.0 posts
- Travel Adventures on Free Motion Mavericks, November 11, 2022
- Places & Communities on Free Motion Mavericks, October 20, 2022
- Birds on Free Motion Mavericks, October 06, 2022
- Wildflowers on Version 2.0 with Free Motion Mavericks, September 22, 2022
- First Nation Space on Free Motion Mavericks, June 16, 2022
- More on Version 2.0 with Free Motion Mavericks, April 07, 2022
Finishing the FMQ will be my December OMG. I really want my son to have his quilt to keep them warm this winter 😊
Free Motion Mavericks
|Graffiti FMQ by Gail of Quilting Gail|
|FMQ her Jingle Quilt on Rebecca Grace Quilting|
Now it's your turn!