Welcome to Free Motion Mavericks, week 411. I've only done a bit of Free Motion Quilting (FMQ) this week on my son's Version 2.0 quilt but, I have been doing lots of thinking! 😊
Adding details to the birds sections
As I'm getting ready to finish the FMQ, I've been looking at each section that's already done, to see if the quilting is dense enough. I don't want it too dense, but empty spots lead to trouble, so I've been adding some fun little details to the bird sections.For the Canada Goose, I added some water, bull rushes and a cloud. Underneath that, I continued the branch that the bird is perched on and added some music notes. At the very bottom of that section are a couple of flowers.
|Adding details around the birds to fill up the larger empty spaces
In front of the woodpecker, I connected the branch that he's on to a tree trunk and included a hole!
|Birds and some musical notes
|More bird tweets!
Planning the FMQ around the Sun
The Sun had been FMQ with flames and there are swirls in its centre. However the Sun does not take up the entire space in the blue section. On my template I drew a few things but I didn't really like them.
To help me visualise the area that needs extra FMQ, I drew lines (mostly angled like the Sun) around the Sun and then basted the lines with white thread. In this picture, I used Paint to define the blue space and added a red line over the basting. This is roughly the area that I have to fill.
The issue is that I really don't want to quilt anything that will detract from the Sun, but I do need to fill in some of that space. My daughter suggested adding clouds, which would take up space but not be densely quilted and therefore not complete with the Sun. If I use clouds, I could add them at the bottom and sides, and then add stars at the top.
|Figuring out what to quilt in the space around the Sun
What I learned
- Adding the extra details around the birds was fun. There was no preparation to do except to figure out what to add. I knew that it would include music notes. After that it was just about adding more details to the trees etc.
- I'll be going through all of the quilt's sections to see what else needs to be added. Hopefully this will go fairly quickly.
- For the Sun, I know that echoing helps to make things stand out but I'm not sure if that's what this needs. I think that I would rather leave the Sun as it is and just add a few things in the extra space.
- On the paper template, I tried adding feathers or more swirls, but both were too much.
- Right now I think that fluffy clouds and stars might do the trick. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.
- Sun flames, swirls and rail fence blocks, December 08, 2022
- Fun and Games on Free Motion Mavericks, December 01, 2022
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Let's see what's going on out there! Design Wall Monday, Midweek Makers, Needle & Thread Thursday, Patchwork & Quilts, Finished (or not) Friday, Peacock Party, Off The Wall Friday,
Free Motion Mavericks
Thank you for linking up last time. Here are two lovely free motion quilted (FMQ) finishes. Gail, of Quilting Gail, made a lovely baby quilt from her Lone Star left-over pieces. She FMQ loops and some swirling flowers. If you didn't see it, do check it out!
|A lovely baby quilt with left-over pieces.
Sandra from mmm quilts made the Rainbow Neighbourhood Quilt and also launched the pattern for it this week! Each house has a different 6" star for its side wall and each star got some lovely custom quilting. The sashing is a ribbon candy design while the outside border is finished with a floppy feather. If you are falling in love with this quilt, you're in luck because you can now buy the pattern! Visit Sandra's post for more details.
|Sandra's Rainbow Neighbourhood Quilt
It's now your turn!