Thursday, October 06, 2022

Birds on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 402 of Free Motion Mavericks. I managed to find time to get a little bit of FMQ done yesterday. Today we are celebrating birds - the cute ones, not the Hitchcock ones😊

A flock of birds

I added some birds to Stéphane's Version 2.0 quilt. I found a few pictures on the web of simple bird outlines that I copied. I then drew templates of Canada Geese from a picture.

A flock of birds

I started by drawing out the area that needed to be filled on a sheet of long paper. I then placed my freezer paper templates over the area to see if it would work. It was a great idea, but of course, I didn't follow my plan!😊

Planning the placement of the birds

I copied the birds onto freezer paper thinking that I would iron-on the template and stitch on the very outside of them. It was ok, but when I stitched on the freezer paper, it was really hard to remove without affecting the stitches. So scratch off that idea!

Stitching the woodpecker from the freezer paper template

FMQ woodpecker

I then used my chalk pencil to draw around the template. That worked much better. After making the first bird that way, I just decided to do it again, and again!

Flock of cute birds

For that other space, I wanted to add the Canada Goose. Again I used the freezer paper as a template and drew around it.

Canada Goose

The last bird that I did stood on a branch. I drew around the bird template and then drew the branch.

Bird on a branch

Bird as seen from the back of the quilt

You can see here the goose and the bird.

Canada Goose and bird on a branch

October's One Monthly Goal

My OMG for October is to stitch another 2 areas of the Version 2.0 quilt. It helped last month to have a goal, so I'm going to do it again :-)

What I learned

  • Freezer paper is fine for a template, if you can just FMQ around it. Don't use it if you have to stitch through it!
  • I was pleasantly surprised that my chalk pencil worked on the light blue fabric.
  • It was nice FMQ these birds since they were mostly near the edges of the quilt.

Related links

Linking parties

I'll be linking up to many parties, including the October One Monthly Goal. Let's see what's out there...but remember to link up here below too! Needle & Thread Thursday, Put your foot down, Midweek Makers, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Peacock Party, TGIFFOff The Wall FridayPatchwork & Quilts


Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome! Did you get any free motion quilting done this week? If you did, make sure to link up. If you didn't, you can share your quilting project anyway 😊.

Last week, we saw Sue Daurio's custom quilting on the San Marco quilt. What a beauty! Make sure to check it out! Since we didn't get any link ups and Muv is not able to host this week, I'm doing a take 2! Please link up 😎

Sue Daurio's custom quilting on the San Marco quilt

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. Love your birds! I have not tried freezer paper templates but I have taped a paper design to my quilt top and stitched over the plain paper. I did not stitch over the tape and the paper tore away easily. Thanks for joining the Put Your Foot Down linky party!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks Andy, in theory the freezer paper is ironed to the fabric and therefore doesn't move but I think that I've re-used these bits too often so it didn't even do that. I have used the freezer paper templates to cut fabric and that worked extremely well.

      Delete
  2. Those are AMAZING Birds!!! they are so perfect!! you have great talent!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)