Tuesday, September 29, 2020

September OMG done

Hi! I'm cutting it pretty close but they are done - my niece's curtains for her cottage bedroom. These are my September One Monthly Goal (OMG). 

Tab top curtains in buffalo red & black plaid flannel

This was the first time that I made tab top curtains. In my curtain making days, we made a sleeve to pull it though. These curtains weren't very difficult but I'm really glad that I didn't have to buy a pattern. YouTube can be pretty wonderful.

Buffalo red and black plaid flannel curtains

I watched the DIY Tab Top Curtains YouTube video by Online Fabric Store - I have included the link in the Related links section below. The tutorial was very good but I do find the music distracting. Anyway, after watching it a few times, I made some notes, cut my fabric and that's as far as I got. My poor niece had to wait a few months for these but finally here they are😊

Before this, I had never heard of buffalo red and black plaid. Again....thank you Google! I found the fabric at Funky Monkey. My niece bought 2½ meters but really, 3 meters would have been better. I forgot about the flannel shrinkage. The fabric is from Kaufman and it's the nicest flannel I've ever worked with. Wow, I guess that's what quality flannel is like!

Kaufman's flannel
Chain stitching the tabs

In this post, I thought that I would share with you how my sewing has changed since I'm a quilter.

The most obvious tool that quilters use is the rotary cutter - with all straight cuts, it went really well.

The picture on the right is the chain stitching of the tabs. I sure didn't know about this before quilting! 

Since I didn't have enough flannel for the top facing, I used a colourful plaid that I had in my stash. It's certainly not the same quality but since it was also pre-washed, it should be fine for the facing.

You may also notice that I used a walking foot. Again, until taking Christina Cameli's Free-Motion Quilted Gifts course on Craftsy last year, I would never have thought to use the walking foot for this type of sewing. It really made everything so much easier to sew together. 

Sewing down the facing with the walking foot

What I learned
  • The fall weather has finally re-activated my brain. I was able to slowly think this project through and get it done. The OMG deadline was also a motivator - thanks Patty at Elm Street Quilts.
  • Sewing curtains is not the same since I'm now a quilter. I'm the first to admit that I don't really like piecing but all of that work paid off for learning techniques that are very transferable. 
  • It may have taken several months, but taking my time, watching the video several times, making notes and being organised really helped me make the curtains. 
  • I was very anxious about making these because I knew that I didn't have ANY extra fabric for making mistakes! For an accuracy challenged quilter, that's a lot of extra stress 😊
Related links

Remember to join us starting October 1st to the 8th for... 
Free Motion Mavericks' 300th Post Tea Party!


19 comments:

  1. I made these curtains once without a pattern and no clue, they turned out okay. The next time I made curtains though I decided to use grommets instead, so much easier and I like the way they hang better. Lucky niece that she has someone to help her out this way. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. She was very happy to get them. Hopefully she will get to her cottage before winter, although they would be perfect for then. I hope that I never have to make another pair, but if so, I'll look into the grommets. Thanks and take care.

      Delete
  2. Hi Andree! Your curtains look beautiful. I'm sure your niece is just thrilled with them. I've made a few tab-topped wall hangings but never curtains. Don't you think you've become a fabric snob of sorts know that you're a quilter? You can certain tell and feel the differences between different grades of fabric, just like sheets. Thanks so much for linking up this week. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roseanne. She was thrilled. I've never even though about making tab-topper wall hangings. I'll have to look into that now what I have learned a new technique but don't really want to make more curtains :-) Take care.

      Delete
  3. Great curtains. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patty, I'm glad that they are finally done. Your OMG linking party helped make them happen. Thanks! Take care.

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your OMG. Your curtains look great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine - I'm soooo glad that they are done and delivered! Now on to other things :-) Take care.

      Delete
  5. I should have made my one monthly goal to get the curtains made for my bedroom. I've had the fabric for months and months but yet can't seem to "get around" to making them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marsha, it looks like you need to set yourself an OMG for those curtains - before you change the colours in your bedroom :-) Take care.

      Delete
  6. Oh aren’t these just the best! I bet your niece will be over the moon. LOL and it’s the full moon tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, she was thrilled....and a quiet full moon it was here, thank goodness. You never know! BTW Come by Free Motion Mavericks this week and link up your favourite FMQ posts. We're having a party and you are invited! Take care.

      Delete
  7. I live all plaids, and you did a great job on your nieces curtains. Internet research: Buffalo Plaid got its name around 1850 when a designer at the Woolrich mill at Chatham's Run in Pennsylvania (who owned a herd of buffalo) copied a pattern known as "Rob Roy" in Scotland.
    Thanks for linking with Design Wall Mondays, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy and thanks so much for the Buffalo Plaid history lesson :-) It's sure making a comeback! Thanks so much for dropping by. Take care.

      Delete
  8. Adorable! I love making curtains and window treatments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris - I wish I could say the same:-) Take care.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on getting your OMG done on time. Thanks for linking to Colour & Inspiration Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dione - I'm just checking up on my comments. Thanks as always for the party and the comments. Your post is one of the highlights of my week :-) Take care.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)