Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Swirling Leaves for Hello Fall Blog Hop

Welcome to my stop at the Hello Fall Blog Hop. When I saw Carla's button for a fall blog hop, I couldn't resist. I'm thrilled to be part of this fun event - Thanks Carla 😊

Making Swirling Leaves

Swirling Leaves

I have to admit that I had some pretty grandiose ideas for this blog hop....and then it was two weeks before the event and I got realistic! This wall hanging is a simpler version of my original plans. I'm really happy with the way it came out - and it didn't take months to make!

All along, my idea was to make a wall hanging with falling maple leaves. About a month ago, while walking with Chevy, I found a small bunch of maple leaves that had fallen off a tree. That was the first part!

I then made freezer paper templates from most of them, ironed them onto some gorgeous hand-dyed fabrics and Voila! I had a whole bunch of leaves to work with. Only the orange leaves are made from my own hand-dyes.

Freezer paper template
Once the leaves were cut, I rummaged into my neutral scraps and made up the background. These are from the last three neutral quilts that I've made in the last few years.

Choosing neutral fabrics for the background
I had a great time doing some improv piecing, my favourite kind of piecing. Since I wanted this quilt to be as simple as possible to make, I even took the time to square up the pieces so that it would be relatively easy to finish. It worked!
Choosing borders
With the background finished, I auditioned some fabrics for borders. Since these are relatively muted colours, I went into my civil war reproduction fabrics and found two perfect pieces.

On the weekend I added the borders and appliquĂ©d the leaves. I found a perfect piece of batting and backing. 
A sandwich ready to FMQ
Then came my favourite part - free motion quilting (FMQ). I started by quilting-in-the-ditch around the two borders. I then chose different thread colours to quilt around each leaf and stitch in the veins, following my freezer paper template since my leaves had all dried up by then. Because the quilt is pretty muted, I took the opportunity to use some lovely variegated thread for the leaves.
Details of the FMQ

I FMQ the background with swirls and extended them into the first border. For the final border, I quilted some leaves.

Swirling Leaves with the Burning bush


What I learned

  • I'm glad that I reduced my plans based on the limited time I had. Maybe one day I can make that original one, but like I said, it would have taken months!
  • I love improv piecing. I kept it simple this time, using square and rectangular pieces of fabric that fit together easily. 
  • My big lesson learned was taking the time to square up blocks as I was putting the improv pieces together. It really made a difference in the end.
  • I like how the FMQ in the neutral background sort of makes it recede. I was afraid that some of the fabrics would overpower the piece.
  • I even stitched down the binding by machine from the front. There was only one spot that I had to hand stitch down at the back. That was a huge time saver.
  • Of course I lost that saved time when I stitched the sleeve to the wrong end of the quilt (sigh). 

Links to Carla's Creatin' in the Sticks

Links to Wednesday's participants
Linking parties

I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties around the virtual world of quilting. Lets see what's going on! Muv is hosting the Free Motion Mavericks linking party this week - visit and link up! Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, What I Made Monday, Colour & Inspiration Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Long Arm Learning, Put Your Foot Down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Off The Wall Friday, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Friday Foto Fun, Beauty Pageant, Peacock Party, Oh Scrap!, Quilting & Patchwork

A reminder to join us on October 1st for the trans-Atlantic party! Find out more about this special linking party.



59 comments:

  1. I love your fall leaves and so impressed with your process and thanks for sharing that! Little projects are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheri. I agree that little projects are the best - otherwise I would not have many finishes...and would probably get bored before finishing anything anyway! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Take care.

      Delete
  2. A pretty wallhanging that says Fall. I can hear those leaves crunching underfoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, I'm afraid that they are now starting to crunch under foot - it is an amazing time of year and we are so lucky to have such wonderful colours out here in the fall! Take care.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful wall hanging! Your project really says Fall is here. Love your color choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Charlene, I've been wanting to make a wall hanging with a pieced off white background so it was the perfect time. Those hand-dyed fabrics are so lovely and I was happy to finally use some of my Civil War fabrics. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I can see the leaves swirling their way to the ground. Your wall hanging is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elizabeth. Isn't it wonderful how much mouvement FMQ can add? Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. Take care.

      Delete
  5. The quilting and applique on your piece are impressive. Thanks for sharing the tips on improv backgrounds, too.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used actual leaves for your templates. The color choices for them is perfect. Just a wonderful piece all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I really had a great time making it. Take care.

      Delete
  7. The soft, muted colors are so pretty. Fun to read your inspiration and then see the quilt come to life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I kept wanting to make the colours more vibrant but I think that they are as vibrant as they should be :-) Take care.

      Delete
  8. This is absolutely beautiful, I really mean that. From the perfectly detailed leaves to the border fabric. Just eye catching. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Denise. I really enjoyed making it and adapting my ideas to the timelines. I think that the piece is probably better for not having taken months to make! You know how impatient I get :-) Take care.

      Delete
  9. great project. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. That's definitely making leaves the intricate way! Great job on the project. I love fall projects !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat. I think that making a template from real leaves is easier than going downstairs to print things up - it's all a matter of perspective and way more fun! :-) Take care.

      Delete
  11. good to see you again! (I miss quiltart) I like your lessons learned... #3 especially, and the last one, lol. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LeeAnna, I also miss our quiltart. I was thinking that once I retire I would like to organise something like that. It would be so much fun - but these blog hops are great inspiration too. For someone who is accuracy challenge, #3 really helped me. I'll have to remember that one. As for the last one, that's just something that I seem to do too much of lol. I'll come by to visit in the next few days. Take care.

      Delete
  12. I love the look of stitching neutrals to create a background. The leaves are just floating down in your quiltie. Perfect way to enjoy a great fall day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joan. Since I have so many neutral scraps, I'll have to experiment with this type of background. I thought that it was effective. I always have trouble with the darker fabrics but they did come out ok. Take care.

      Delete
  13. Improv piecing, hand dyed fabric, swirls, and leaves? What's not to love?! My favorite part about your design process is that you took actual leaves to make your templates. All of these elements came together to create a piece that is SEW perfect for the Hop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joy! It really was fun to make, and I still have the templates sew who knows that could be next! Take care.

      Delete
  14. This just screams fall....and I love it! I like everything....the background, the leaves, the fall colors AND of course the great FMQ...leaves and swirls are perfect for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Caryl. I'm glad that the FMQ designs were obvious. I just didn't have the energy to try out new things. I really enjoyed quilting it (especially after the king size bed!). Take care.

      Delete
  15. I love everything about this! The neutral background is a perfect backdrop for the leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great project, and perfect leaves. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your quilt is wonderful. What better inspiration for fall than fallen leaves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A very lovely quilt. Love how you created the leaves and placed them on the improv pieced quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very lovely. I love the improv pieced background. I love improv piecing as well, but it takes me longer than planned piecing. The fabric for the leaves are so pretty. And awesome quilting, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The leaves seam to float over the fantastic improv pieced background. Such a lovely piece of art. The quilting takes it over the top. Thanks for joining the Hello Fall Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those hand dyed fabrics are perfect for your leaves

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love your quilt, and realistic leaves! I know what you mean by mis-estimating the time it takes to make something. ! month realistically equals 3 months!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yes, improv piecing always looks like such fun. Your choice of colors was wonderful and I loved that the leaves had a variation of colors in them. Happy Fall.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your wall hanging is beautiful! I haven't done improv piecing but might have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea to use the leaves you found as templates. They turned out really beautiful in those fabrics and wall hanging...love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is delightful and great use of eco templates.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! Your use of real leaves for your templates was a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Andree what a great wall hanging! Great idea to use the leaves for your pattern. They really pop with the neutral background and the variegated threads. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i can see those leaves swishing down in the breeze! you really worked that quilt well. thanks for showing it to us!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the way you set the leaves onto the pieced backing, makes them seem like they really are floating down to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I love your wall hanging. The leaves are gorgeous, and I love your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is really pretty. Love the soft colored leaves on the grey background.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Autumn wall hangings are some of my favorite quilts. I love how yours looks just like scattered leaves on the sidewalk with those beautiful fabrics. They look just like the leaves we see when we go for our evening walks. The veins in the leaves and the swirls In the background are perfectly wonderful together.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Those hand dyed fabrics are the bomb as fallen leaves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I like the hand dyed leaves because they feel so realistic, but especially the stitching that you added to them. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is fabulous, Andree! I love that you used actual maple leaves that you collected yourself for your appliqué templates, and the quilting gives a lovely effect of those gusts of autumn wind that kick up the leaves and send them twirling through the air. Also, thanks for "keeping it real" with the mention of sewing the sleeve to the wrong end. We ALL do things like that! It's so nice to know I'm not the ONLY doofus bumbling around my sewing room, putting things together upside down and backwards and having to rip out and redo! :-). Thanks for linking up with Long Arm Learning!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi,
    Love falling leaves quilt...so pretty.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the way the leaves see to float across the swirling background. I'm actually amazed to see how different this piece looks before and after quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a beautiful piece! I love how the borders frame the leaves....sort of making them pop...just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful wallhanging. It really captures the lovely colors of fall. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is a lovely piece, soft and subtle, as if those leafs are floating.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your leaves are so beautiful... the fabric colours are so realistic! Thanks for sharing at the Chameleon’s Colour & Inspiration party.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)