Thursday, April 07, 2022

More on Version 2.0 with Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 376 of our Free Motion Mavericks linking party. I hope that spring is in the air if you're on this end of the Earth!

Sports section finished

The blue sports stripe is done! You can see a pretty good picture below. You will notice that there is still tracing paper left on the snowshoes. It will come off soon but it's very tedious work when the FMQ is so close together. It came off well for the canoe.

Finishing up the sports stripe

Here's a great image from the back. You can see that my sun is getting better. Can you spot the golf ball that wondered into the image? Maybe it got shanked? 😁

A great view from the back
 

Beginning the Northern section

You may recall that one of the big tan stripes has images of Canadian nature. I've done the West and part of the Prairies, so now it's the North. Although the picture is not great, you can see the section surrounded by some of the other FMQ. There is a mountain with ice, a seal in the water and a big polar bear! I'm cheering for the seal, but the bear does have to eat!

Starting on the Northern Canada section 

North section from the back of the quilt

I'll have to do more research to get this section finished. Since I had quite a few images of polar bears on tracing paper for the Polar Bear Plunge blog hop in January, I thought that I would use one of them here. 

Stars and Planets

I started working on a black stripe that my mother originally quilted stars and the moon. Since I still have some of my notes from the Pinwheels and Stars Baby Quilt, I figured that I could use my FMQ skills to add some planets along with the stars. 

On the black stripe, the Glide thread, Shadow (a dark grey), can be seen by the camera. Yeah!

 
Lots of stars and swirling objects in the sky

I did practice a bit on paper, but this was the easiest FMQ that I've done so far on this quilt. What a nice change!

A planet, a comet and a few stars


FMQ in action with a  comet, a planet, a black hole and stars 😊

You may as well get a back shot also since this one came out well!

Stars seen from the back

What I learned

  • It was nice to have a few easy things to FMQ this time. 
  • I used a postcard from Nunavut to make the rock and ice formation. I didn't see anything like that when I visited many years ago. The image was from Auyuittuq National Park.
  • I'll have to do some research for other images of the North and then the rest of the Prairies.
  • Since I've been working on FMQ words, I was thinking of writing the names of the provinces within the tan stripe.
  • I thought of adding words with the stars, but only after I finished it and now there isn't any place left. I'll have to try and plan this the next time. (famous last words!)
  • I have to remove the tracing paper before I put the quilt away until the next time.

Related links

Linking parties

I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. I hope that you get the chance to visit some of these. Remember to link up before you go 😊 Wondering Camera, Needle & Thread ThursdayPut Your Foot Down, TGIFF, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Off The Wall Friday, Peacock Party, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2022, Patchwork & Quilts, Monday Making, Design Wall Monday

Free Motion Mavericks

We had very interesting link ups to the party last time. I think that the three FMQ projects are worth looking at if you didn't get a chance last time.

Nancy at Grace and Peace used matchstick quilting on her mini. I just love the way that the quilting changed the colours of her piece.

Nancy at Grace and Peace

Gail of Quilting Gail finished FMQ her SAHRR for 2022 quilt. She did a great job with all of that echoing. 

Gail of Quilting Gail 

Sandra from mmm quilts used invisible thread from Aurifil to quilt most of her flying geese pillow top as her last piece for PQ 13.6 She really loved FMQ with the thread.

Sandra from mmm quilts

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Love the stars and planets!!! Thanks for featuring my "Then Sings My Soul"!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for linking up again Nancy. I had lots of fun with those. My son has finally given me more ideas for the quilting. I'm starting to get on a roll!

      Delete
  2. I love this, but the bicycle and canoe are my favorites this time. I think I see the golf ball flying over. Well, I love the bears too so lets just say I love everything you are doing. This is really a labor of love and I know memories of your mom are overwhelming as you recreate this piece. Thank you for the linky party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise. I had a really good time, especially after I figured out what to quilt! I'm looking forward to getting back to this one, maybe even before the end of the fortnight! Thanks for linking up, it's such a great idea to make something to hold your hoops...and it looks great!

      Delete
  3. Wow, It's got so many just over-the-top cool details Andrée! So many of our quilts hold memories, don't they? I love seeing it from the back too. It really pops! Thank you for featuring my flying geese pillow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sandra. It's really fun, now that I'm into it. I've got a whole bunch more ideas so it should go well. This quilt will be filled with decades of memories!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful drawings with thread. Really like the stars and the planets.

    Thanks so much for linking up with Wandering Camera!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  5. its so fun to see the back and the front of the quilting - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jolis, ces nouveaux motifs ! J'aime bien les planètes, trop belles !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool free motion stitching. The night sky stitching is my favorite so far.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)