Saturday, April 13, 2019

Slow stitching Update

To try to minimize the evenings when I go home and do absolutely nothing quilty,  I joined The 100 Day Project (#the100dayproject) on Instagram. Will it work? I guess we'll find out...

The 100 Day Project on Instagram

Herringbone stitch added to the mix
Why would I want to add this to my plate? Well, it's on Instagram, so it takes about 2 minutes to post, which is a plus. Also, even if I'm wiped, it would be nice to do something that is productive but simple and stress free. My answer to that is to follow #the100dayproject and at the very least do 10 minutes of hand-stitching (embroidery or English paper piecing, etc) a day. It's a goal and no one will care if I do it or not - but it would be nice!

I won't be posting everything on the blog, but I'm sure that I can manage an occasional update. 😊

While I was practicing the herringbone stitch and playing with hexies, I created a fabric page dedicated to the Herringbone stitch.

I got the idea from Janine at Rainbow Hare, who is also participating in the Take A Stitch Tuesday (TAST). I get bored easily and love the embroidery work that she is doing. One of her ideas is to create a page of the different stitches. You can check it out in the Related links below.

This is my Herringbone page so far. I've been experimenting with the size and angles of the stitches, and of course the more colour the better. And, just for something different, I added hexies to the mix. I'm starting to think that everything is better with hexies (and chocolate)!
Herringbone page
I started the chain stitch page a while back. This week, I did a little bit of embroidery in the car on my way to work. It was a really great way to start the day. I'm going to try to keep that up!
Chain Stitch page
I've also working on the final hexie flowers for my Kingfisher Stitch Along. The Stitch Along started last May and finished in July, so I'm not a year late....yet. Hopefully the sewing of the diamonds will go well. My objective is to finish it by the end of July, so that it's only one year late!
Last two diamonds coming along
Love that blue-black batik!
What I learned
  • I need a variety of small projects to keep me going. If I have a few easy ones started, I'm more likely to pick one up in the evening. That's the theory anyways.
  • I'm still following TAST but getting pretty far behind. When I feel ambitious I can work on new embroidery stitches, and when I'm not, I'll just do more chain stitch or practice other stitches that I'm getting better at.
  • I also want to experiment with the size of the stitches as well as the size of the embroidery thread and perle cotton I use.
  • I have a colleague at work who is learning to embroider - so next week we are going to embroider during our lunch.
Related links
Linking parties
I have posted all of these on Instagram, as well as many others. If you're on Instagram, you can follow me at https://www.instagram.com/quiltinglearningcombo/

I will also be linking up to many fun parties. Let's see what's up in quilty blogland! Slow Sunday Stitching, Moving it Forward, Design Wall Monday, Monday Making, What I Made Monday, Tuesday Colour Linky Party, Midweek Makers, Needle & Thread ThursdayFinished or Not FridayFriday Foto FunCan I Get a Whoop Whoop?,



10 comments:

  1. Wow! I love the idea of The Kingfisher Sew Along. I may just start it at a later date. Beautiful blocks, Andree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, thanks. The Kingfisher Sew Along was wonderful. I`m sure that you could start it anytime since the posts are there. I really loved making them with Batiks. Batiks are almost as good as hexies and chocolate!

      Delete
  2. I love your herringbone page and I agree about the hexis and chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine. I've been working on the chain stitch page and not liking it as much. The latest stitch on TAST was a butterfly chain. I think that I might add that to the mix and see what happens.

      Delete
  3. Your stitches are lovely. Having lots of small projects, ready to go, is a great way to get some crafting done in the evenings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anorina. It's not working out quite as well as I had hoped since tired is just plain tired, but it is making it easier and when I do feel like playing, it's all ready for me.

      Delete
  4. Pretty stitching once again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Social embroidery at lunch time? Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journey into learning is very inspiring! I enjoy reading your "what I learned'section very much!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)