Thursday, April 25, 2019

Free Motion Mavericks and an art quilt in the making

Welcome to Free Motion Mavericks (week 226).

Since I didn't get a chance to do any free motion quilting (FMQ) in the last couple of days, I'm going to just share my last practice piece from the weekend. You can read about it in my last post (see Related links below)

Practicing my FMQ
Progress on the art quilt 

This piece is due in less than a month. It will be part of an Out of the Box Fibre Artists exhibition, Summer Fibrations, at the Mississippi Mills Textile Museum this summer. On the weekend I was auditioning fabrics. The main fabric that I'm using is Gradients by Moda. It's just absolutely beautiful.

On Tuesday I went through my stash to find other fabrics that I will be fussy cutting from. As I was playing with them this morning, I realised that I will have to keep going through my stash for more.

This is just the beginning but I think that the layout will probably stay. I'm sure that the flowers and details will get revised many times.
The start of the piece

Working on my design board from my ironing board
As I mentioned in my last post, I took the week off and will spend most of it working on this baby.

Unfortunately it hasn't been as peaceful as I would have liked. Below is the view from my window, which is why I'm working on the ironing board instead of my desk. I think that the bulldozing is finished so at least the ground should stop shaking!

I've also joined Amy's challenge on Instagram, #onethingwithamy
We set a goal for the week on Monday and report our progress on Friday. This is perfect for the next couple of weeks since I'll actually get things done during the week instead of being in a vegetative state when I get home. 😊

If you want to read more about this project, see the Related links below. That's also where you'll find "What I learned" so far on this project.

Related links
Linking parties

Free Motion Mavericks

Thank you to everyone who linked up two weeks ago. As always there was some lovely projects linked up. This week's highlight is Gretchen's Wiggly Whimsy Quilt with its 'organic wavy line' quilting. Don't you love her glamour shot? If you didn't see it, check it out.



You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!
Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Your art quilt is looking so amazing! Those colors together are just so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Christine. It's coming along nicely but it's such a slow process. It's a good thing that I have some time to work on it :-)

      Delete
  2. Love your art quilt. So many possibilities. Looking forward to seeing your process as you work on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vasudha. I took a break today to play with something else and found the perfect fabric in a pile that I hadn't checked, so now I'm feeling a little better since this will probably give me the rest of the fabric that I didn't realise was missing.

      Delete
  3. I like seeing your work space. I didn't know about the bulldozing - is that a new house going in? I looked back through your previous few posts for info on that but also on your piece, I love the Gaia, and that she's Mother Earth! Loving seeing this develop and how it will come alive with your beautiful FMQ. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, thanks so much for linking up! Yes, it's a new house being built. I don't mind the fact that we'll have neighbours, just the construction noise and dust.
      I love working with Mother Earth (Gaia) - she always inspires me, and lets me use up as many colours as I want :-) Today I found the fabric that I didn't know I was missing, so I think that it will be easier to keep going.

      Delete
  4. Your art quilt is so intriguing! I can't wait to see the finished result. Thanks for linking up to What I Made Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca, and thanks for hosting this great linkup.

      Delete
  5. Finally managed to visit before the linky closed! Love the progress on the art quilt, I hope you get some quiet to work on it now! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you made it Dione! I hope to get some quiet time to work on it soon....it didn't quite happen during my holiday but it was a good one, so that's what matters :-)

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)