Free Motion Mavericks
So, spring or not, I decided to add some colour to the free motion quilting (FMQ) that I created to celebrate the coming of spring.
Although this image is not great, you can click on it for a better look.
|Spring is in the air FMQ|
|Adding a little bit of colour|
was not very impressive
At first, going over the grey just added colour over the grey. It was not impressive. You can see the results in the image. Since it looked better in the flowers that were densely quilted, I just kept on FMQ.
After going over the grey many, many times, it started to look pretty good.
|Adding colour to the original FMQ with grey thread|
|The flowers are brighter after a lot of FMQ|
|Even the pond gets a make-over.|
|More colour over the grey|
What I learned
- The finished grey piece was a good practice piece but nothing else. Adding colour to it now gives it some potential to be a fun mini quilt.
- FMQ over something that is already quilted is different than FMQ on a blank fabric. Because I had to follow the original stitching, I ended up FMQ the flowers from the top down so that I could see what I was doing.
- Did you notice the blue flowers that I added behind the snow drops? I did go over the FMQ a few times to make the stitching denser but they are pretty dull compared to the other flowers around them.
- In the original piece, I was pretty disappointed with the lotus flowers in the pond. After adding some variegated pink thread, I really like them. I was even able to change the original shape of a couple of them.
- I think that the water in the pond adds a lot to the piece. Now I need to find a frog!
- Spring is in the air with Free Motion Mavericks, March 13, 2019
I will be linking up this post to other linky parties since we need to get the word out and see what else is going on in the FMQ world! Tuesday Colour Linky Party, Midweek Makers, Off the Wall Fridays, Finished or Not Friday, Foto Fun Friday, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, TGIFF, Design Wall Monday, Monday Making, Moving it Forward, What I Made Monday, Wondering Camera,
Wonderful news! This post was featured on Midweek Makers. Thanks so much Susan!
Thank you to everyone who linked up two weeks ago. The FMQ was wonderful and it was really difficult to choose only one project to highlight. If you didn't see it, you really should check out Alycia's string quilt with its matchstick quilting and Greek keys in the border!
If you keep forgetting to link up, you can always follow this blog by email. Then you will see when the Free Motion Mavericks link up is on. You can also do the same at Muv's blog, Lizzie Lenard Vintage Sewing.