|Batik Lap Quilt Top|
This was my One Month Goal (OMG) for February with Elm Street Quilts. I also had a few other goals. Let's see how I did:
- To FMQ this colourful batik lap quilt for my brother (the one who got me fabric in Paris) - this is my OMG! Finished
- To finish embellishing Escape 2: English Garden; Finished
- To finish the Northern Lights hexies art quilt. Almost Finished
- To make the next block for the Growing Up QAL Finished March 2
|FMQ blocks using templates or patterns|
Since my brother loves Paris and travels there as often as he can, I FMQ two Paris blocks. One is the Eiffel Tower and the other the Notre-Dame Cathedral. To make these (since I don't draw well), I enlarged a black and white photo and outlined the structure with a fine black Sharpie. Using the light box, I copied the image on freezer paper and cut the image out.
For the Eiffel Tower, I FMQ over the freezer paper. It worked out fine, except for the tiny pieces of paper stuck underneath the thread.
|Eiffel Tower freezer paper template|
|Eiffel Tower FMQ on block|
|Notre-Dame Cathedral FMQ|
|Chevy posing in front of Batik Lap Quilt 2|
|Escape 2: English Garden Finished|
Escape 2: English Garden was finished and the post written on February 19, 2017
Northern Lights hexies art quilt only needs a binding. I'm not going to spoil the surprise.
The next block for the Growing Up QAL has all of the pieces cut up and is ready to be sewn together. I have a couple more days to sew and post it! March 2: Here is my block
|Growing Up QAL Block 2|
|Northern Lights is almost done!|
What I learned:
- The lap quilt is a little stiffer than I would have preferred - there is a lot of FMQ, even if the blocks are not densely quilted. I think it's still fairly supple.
- Many of the FMQ is not easily seen - it'll be a little bit like a "Find Waldo". I hope my brother will have fun discovering the different blocks - including one with his name and another his cat's name.
- My block 2 in the Growing Up QAL is not quilt right. The HST are going in a different direction. The correct square looks much better - maybe I'll try again, or maybe not!
- I was very productive in the last couple of weeks. In part, it's because of the audio books I borrowed from the library - Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini. I read them years ago but have decided to listen to them so that I can read the last two books of the series. I just love being read to!
Batik Lap Quilt 2
- One Monthly Goal - Results for February
- One Monthly Goal - Goal Setting for February
- Muv's (of Free Motion Mavericks) tutorials: Oak Leaf Design and Rudbeckia Design
- Escape 2: English Garden art quilt - Second in the Series (February 19, 2017)
- Eragon and Eldest by Christopher Paolini
Batik Lap Quilt 2
50 ½ " x 47½"
Materials: cotton batiks - North Country Trail Batiks Charm Pack by Holly Taylor for Moda as well as other 5" squares
Techniques: FMQ - freehand as well as templates and stencils
Did you get lots of quilting done in February? Spring with its longer days and fresh air will wake me out of hibernation!
Linky Parties: I will be linking to the One Monthly Goal - February Finish Link-up as well as these other link-ups. Check out what everyone is up to! Monday Making, Main Crush Monday, Moving it Forward Monday, Linky Tuesday, Midweek Makers, Growing Up Quilt-Along, Needle & Thread Thursday, Let's Bee Social, Free Motion Mavericks, Can I get a Whoop Whoop? Off the Wall Friday,