Thursday, July 04, 2024

Outdoor Fibre Art Exhibit “Impermanence / Éphémère”

Hi and welcome! It's been hot and sunny here - perfect for installing our Outdoor Fibre Art Exhibit “Impermanence / Éphémère”. Let's hope that our pieces are not too impermanent and able to withstand the summer weather and wildlife 😊.

“Impermanence / Éphémère”


The vernissage for the exhibit is Friday (tomorrow, July 5th) at the Arbor Gallery in Vankleek Hill, east of Ottawa. I'll be sharing photos of the vernissage and other participants' art work in the next post. 

I finished all of my tasks (see last post) on Monday July 1st , around 6 p.m. and went to Vankleek Hill the next day to install the work. I had some great help from Garnet and it only took a little over an hour. 

The four Prayer Flags and me

Here is "In The Sky, an Outdoor Hanging Sculpture". I'm hoping to have a second part to it - maybe next year!

"In The Sky, an Outdoor Hanging Sculpture"

The three seasonal garden fence art pieces look great against the white of the back rustic door. We have "Raining Pink Petals" at the top (Spring), "Squirrel!" (Summer) in the middle and then "Essence of Leaves" (Fall) at the bottom. 

Three seasonal garden fence art 

This is what the art pieces look like at the back of the building.

Back of the Arbor Gallery

Here are close-up photos of each garden fence art pieces.

"Raining Pink Petals"

"Squirrel!" 

"Essence of Leaves" 

I've created a separate page for my work at the Arbour Gallery. On the back of my business card, I'll have the QR code linking to that page. 

“Impermanence / Éphémère” poster

What I learned
  • I'm so happy that I created that to-do list and included them on my last two posts. It really helped keep me on track. 
  • I did forget to add - Stitch nut shells to the "Squirrel!" piece. I almost forgot but as I was looking at my finished pieces, it came to me....thank goodness. I added a half shell by the squirrel. I had to enlarge a tiny hole on one side to stitch it down but it looks good! 😊
  • The "Squirrel!" piece was my last one and it only took a couple of days. It's a good thing that I had the little squirrel hoop piece to guide me (see previous post).
  • I'm not sure if I was tired and therefor more whimsical (less serious) but I ended up appliquéing all kinds of fun details to "Squirrel!" There is a bunny (of course), lots of butterflies and colourful birds.
  • I was so relieved after hanging the pieces that I spent all of the next day reading and trying to fill up an almost empty fridge!)I should have been writing this post - but I needed the time off!
  • I'm really looking forward to seeing if and how the pieces will change during the summer. At home I haven't had any critters play or try to eat my pieces. I guess we'll see how well behaved these guys are!
Related links
Linking parties

I'm linking up "Squirrel" as my July Favorite Finish with Quilting JetGirl.

Free Motion Mavericks


Welcome to week 488 of Free Motion Mavericks! We've had quite the party going on last week! Thanks so much for linking up your projects. 😍 Here are the projects from last week that included FMQ, ruler work or walking foot quilting. 

Quilting Gail went to Quilt Canada in Edmonton last week. If you haven't seen her video, I suggest that you take a look. Wow - what amazing quilts! Thanks so much for sharing! 

Here is a quilt that Gail finished in June as part of the Prism Blog Hop.

Prisms by Gail

Gail quilted this one using the Silly Moon Charming & Rocket quilting rulers. 

Details of the quilting on Prisms by Gail

Gretchen of Gretchen's Little Corner makes lovely quilts but doesn't like to quilt them. However, she's quilting her smaller quilts this summer and hoping that she'll get in the grove to quilt a larger one. Good luck Gretchen!

These are Christmas placemats that she finished in January, ready for next Christmas. 

Gretchen's Christmas placemats

Here's my favourite placemat, made from extra hexies from a Tula Pink project. I just love that fabric...and of course the hexies!

Gretchen's hexie placemat

Last week Frédérique of Quilting Patchwork Appliqué finished her 2023 SAHRR baby quilt. It is so colourful and cute! A Perfect baby quilt.

Frédérique's finished 2023 SAHRR baby quilt.

Details of Frédérique's quilting

Denise also participated in the Prisms Blog Hop with her latest quilt, Tiptoe Through The Pines. What gorgeous fabric and colours!

Denise's Tiptoe Through The Pines.

Denise quilted diagonal lines throughout the center with feathers on the inside border.

Denise FMQ Tiptoe Through The Pines.

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for highlighting my placemats! I'm still not FMQ but I'm machine quilting at least! The squirrel is so cool, I really like that you added real nuts for him to munch on. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gretchen and keep at the machine quilting! I learned to FMQ because I couldn't afford to send them away to be quilted. I'm sure that it helps that I love it, while I'm not thrilled about piecing :-)

      Delete
  2. Such a neat idea for a fiber art exhibit! I enjoyed seeing the pieces you put in it. It will definitely be interesting to see how your pieces change in the outdoor setting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diann. It was a lot of fun but I'm really happy that it's over and that I can get back to my life :-)

      Delete
  3. Bravo pour cette belle et intéressante expo ! Je suis curieuse aussi de voir comment tes oeuvres vont vivre en extérieur.
    Merci pour featuring mon quilt ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. J'ai bien hâte de voir comment les oeuvres vont changer...ou pas. J'ai aussi hâte des mettre dans mon jardin à l'automne :-)

      Delete
  4. Andree, I LOVE your fiber art display! Fantastic! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool fiber art display. I hope you get lots of wonderful feedback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate. I don't know how busy it will be but we're already thinking about another exhibit next year, so who knows!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)