Thursday, June 27, 2024

Prayer Flags on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome! I hope that you're having a great week ๐ŸŒž The weather has been all over the place but I've enjoyed stitching in my backyard as much as possible. Let's get on with the fun stuff ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Prayer Flag production


Last week I showed you the "Thanks" Prayer Flag (see Related links below). Here are the rest - in various states of completion.

"Joie" Prayer Flag - completed and hanging outside in my backyard

I took this picture earlier in the day yesterday and left it outside. It's rained in the evening but since it's going to be outside for the rest of the summer, I guess it got it's first dunking.

"Paix" (Peace) Prayer Flag - ready to be dyed

The "Paix" (Peace) Prayer Flag was bundled up with a big iron nail that came from the land around Arbor Gallery, as well as other small rusty pieces. 

"Paix" (Peace) Prayer Flag - bundled up for dying

This time I used 4 black tea bags and found a taller glass container to let it sit. It was outside in partial sun for the last two days. This morning I removed the bundle and squeezed some of the liquid. It's now drying in the back yard. Since it's now rather cool, it could take a couple of days. I'll bring it in if there's any rain!

"Paix" (Peace) Prayer Flag - in the
very strong black tea solution

"Paix" (Peace) Prayer Flag bundle drying outside this morning

Did you notice that wonderful antique metal milk can in the background? My artist friend Lyne painted it for me. I just absolutely love it! I've been wanting to take picture to post for a while but need to get the background plants looking their best....yeah, one day! This is the Spring side. I'll show you the other side later this summer ๐Ÿ˜. Thanks Lyne!!!

Here is my last Prayer Flag  "Health". It's for Health of body, mind and soul.

The "Health" Prayer Flag just needs embellishment and a tea bath

To Do List


Sorry for repeating myself but here's what's left to do! ๐Ÿ˜Š I will be installing the work on July 3rd July 2nd (in 2 weeks less than 1 week) and I still have lots of work left to do. 
  • "Raining Pink Petals"
    • Stitch the bunny and butterflies in place
    • Prepare the dowel for hanging
    • Create a label
  • "Essence of Leaves"
    • Finish FMQ the background ✔
    • Fix the hanging sleeve ✔ and prepare the dowel for hanging
    • Create a label
  • Create one more fence art piece called "Squirrel!" 
  • "Thanks" Prayer Flag and Create 3 or 4 more Prayer Flags ✔
    • Finish embroidering and embellishing "Health" 
    • Dry and clean up the rust from "Paix" (Peace)
    • Dye and dry "Health"
    • Prepare for hanging once they are all done
    • Create a label for the series
  • Outdoor hanging sculpture
    • Make another fluffy blue cloud
    • Make one or more birds

What I learned
  • I've been putting quite a few hours slow stitching the Prayer Flags. I've worked it in a series so that they all have roughly the same size and feature some of the same fabric and embellishment.
  • I'm finding it hard to make the "Health" Prayer Flag different. I've just been inspired... I'm going to add empty tea bags to the piece and depict body, mind and soul. I just thought of this while I was preparing the post. ๐Ÿ˜
  • I've figured out how to make the other fluffy blue cloud more efficiently. We'll see where that takes me.
  • I finished the FMQ (Free Motion Quilting) on the Essence of Leaves garden fence piece. I love it and will soon take an outdoor picture to share.
  • I've prepared all of the written information that was required for the exhibition and had to make a few decisions. So, my garden fence pieces now have a theme - they are Seasonal. 
  • "Raining Pink Petals" represents Spring, "Essence of Leaves" is Fall while "Squirrel!" will be Summer.
  • I'm basing my "Squirrel!" garden fence piece on the hoop that I made during a workshop with Bethany Duffy through TextileArtist.org Stitch Club (August 2022). You will probably recognize it!
  • I taught the journal making playdate on Monday for Out of the Box (OOTB). It was a hot, busy but fun time! I'm looking forward to sharing pictures if the participants send me pictures.
My inspiration for a second Squirrel! piece ๐Ÿ˜Š

Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out and remember to link up below.

Free Motion Mavericks


Welcome to Week 487 of Free Motion Mavericks. Thank you for linking up! Here are the projects from last week that included FMQ, ruler work or walking foot quilting. 

Kat of Scrap Box Quilts finished another baby quilt, this one based on a panel. It's so cute ๐Ÿ˜Š. She FMQ around the quilt and the shapes.

Kat made up this cute baby panel quilt

Sally of Painted Thread participated in the 2 Colours Mystery Quilt Challenge with Joanne the Canuck Quilter. She adapted the quilt to make a headboard for her mother's bed. What a job! She stitched around the stars and straight-lines along the stripes to quilt it, then made a headboard and attached it! If you want more details, check out Sally's post!

Sally's 2 Colours Mystery Quilt 


Here is the finished headboard on the bed!

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

1 comment:

  1. My placemats were not FMQ but I seldom do my own machine quilting so I joined in this week. The prayer flags sound like an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)