Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Raining Pink Petals - a Garden Fence Art Quilt

Hi and welcome 😊 This week was about the garden and I even had time to work on the first of my garden fence art quilts. This will be one of the pieces shown outside at the Arbor Gallery from July to September. Things are slowly coming together!

Raining Pink Petals


Have you ever noticed in the fall, the leaves falling like rain? Well, this is the spring version of that. A tree down the street has gorgeous pink blossoms in the spring. Eventually they fall, like pink rain. 😁

The inspiration for Raining Pink Petals

This is as far as I've gotten. The petals still need work to make them flow like my sketch. I will also even out the falling petals.

Raining Pink Petals - so far

The sketch from the photo.

I wasn't sure how to get the tree onto the background so I attached three large pieces of paper together to draw it out to size. I then cut out templates of both the tree top and the trunk.

The template for the tree

I pinned the trunk template to the reverse of an upholstery scrap that I got last week from a fellow OOTB artist.

Trunk pinned on the back of upholstery fabric

For the tree, I used green and white scrappy fabric that I got in that same batch of scraps. I pieced it together and then cut it out following the template.

Starting to put it together

The pink for the petals come from the same hand-dyed fabric that I used to make the 3D tulips last month. I cut them up into snippets, first with scissors and them the rotary cutter. I placed the snippets on the tree and then covered these with pink tule. The tule is not very noticeable on the tree but you can see it against the background.

The background fabric looks different in the light

What I learned
  • I started by cutting up the snippets with the scissors but it went so much faster using the rotary cutter.
  • Isn't it crazy how the background fabric looks gray in the light but brown in my studio? It'll be interesting to see how it looks on the fence at the Arbour Gallery.
  • This morning I went to the back yard to look at my first garden art piece to see how I had finished it. I'll be machine stitching around the outside of the background to stop it from fraying. I'll then add one or two sleeves at the top and bottom of the back to hold the dowels for hanging.
  • There does seem to be a lot of puckering on this piece. If that's still the case when I hang it, I may have to add some interfacing to the back.
  • I'm hoping to get this piece finished before I leave for Alaska on Sunday. That will be one piece less to do when I come back with only three weeks before we hang the art at the Gallery.
  • Since I'll be away on holidays next week, I'll let the Free Motion Mavericks linking party up for two weeks. I hope that you'll link up as often as you want!😊
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. You may wish to check them out, after you've linked up below! Design Wall MondaySew & Tell, Midweek MakersNeedle & Thread Thursday, Put your foot down, Off The Wall Friday, Finished (Or Not) Friday, Patchwork & Quilts, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2024

Free Motion Mavericks


It's been another busy week out there in quilt-land. So many fun quilts being made and given. Thanks for linking up. Here are the projects from last week that included FMQ, ruler work or walking foot quilting.

Gail of Quilting Gail participated in the On The Road Again Blog HopOn The Road Again Blog Hop. Since she couldn't decide on where she would like to go, she choose a real doozy - to the stars! She quilted this beauty using two Silly Moon rulers, Rocket and Twinkle, as well as doing some FMQ.

Gail's project for On The Road Again Blog Hop

Quilting details of Gail's On The Road Again Blog Hop

Melva finished her three Memory Quilts and had time to make some really cute placemats. Here are her memory quilts.

Melva's three Memory Quilts 

I jumped ahead to see her finished quilted placemats - so here they are!

Melva's finished placemats and their cute labels

Preeti of Sew Preeti Quilts has done it again! She has another lovely quilt pattern, Diva, published in Make Modern...and it's on the cover!

Preeti's Diva on the cover of Make Modern!

Vicki of Vicki's Crafts and Quilting has another lovely runner finished. This one made up of watermelon pieces. It sure screams Summer!

Vicki's Watermelon runner

Kat of Scrapbox Quilts has made another quilt - this one is Charming Rails. It's so cute. She quilted it in straight lines and gave it a fleece backing. That is going to be so great to cuddle up in!

 Charming Rails by Kat

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. Great job on the trees. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down and for FM Mavericks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. I'm looking forward to finishing it but it'll be after our holidays. Take care :-)

      Delete
  2. Bonne idée de mettre en tableau cette belle scène de saison ! Pour ceux qui ne sont pas allergiques, c'est un vrai régal de voir ces pétales et pollens voleter partout ! J'aime beaucoup ton arbre, bravo.
    Bonnes vacances en Alsaka ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci Frédérique. Je suis allerqique mais c'est beau de loin! Merci. Nous attendons notre vol à Anchorage. 😊

      Delete
  3. Your pink petal rain looks beautiful. It's pretty amazing how the piece changes color depending up on the light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blossom tree. I hope you are having a great time in Alaska :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)