Thursday, July 11, 2024

Mosquito proofing on Free Motion Mavericks

Hi and welcome! I've been so busy getting ready for our Outdoor Exhibition that I haven't done much else. Although I would love to play in the garden, it's been hot and humid, and now raining. I may as well do a little bit of stitching between reading books.

Mosquito proofing my swing


I bought netting curtains at Ikea and created this cover for my swing. It's one of my favourite places in the garden and has an excellent view of my birdfeeder. This was a first attempt and only needs a few adjustments to be mosquito proof. I'll use another curtain to close up the opening and try it out once it stops raining, 

Mosquito proofing my swing

2024 Table Scraps Challenge


Today I looked up the July colour (aqua) and theme (Butterfly) for the 2024 Table Scraps Challenge. I dug out the blue bin and found many aqua and teal scraps. Between other blue scraps and a block that I didn't use for one of the Project Quilting, I've got a pieced top. Looking at it now, that hourglass block might be used to make a butterfly. What do you think?

Aqua and blue scrappy block

Journal making and Panel wall hanging


The other two projects I have for July are for hubby. He requested a journal like I made a few months ago. Apparently it's difficult to find journals that have no lines in them. He uses a few a year for work, so I'll start with one and see how he likes it.

I'll make a fun journal cover with napkins and gifted Japanese paper

Making a wall hanging from the "Healing Waters" panel

What I learned
  • I really over-did it getting all of my pieces ready for the outdoor show. I am now resting!
  • I've read a few books since I finished my outdoor pieces - that's my favourite way to rest. 
  • I'm taking it easy this week and don't plan on getting much done, except possibly the aqua scrappy challenge piece, since that's pure play 😁
  • Next week I'll be house sitting our friends' pool 😎. I plan on bringing books and hand-stitching projects with me! They have a mosquito proof patio so it's going to be awesome!
  • I published a post on Tuesday about the artists and their pieces in the "Impermanence - Éphémère" Outdoor Exhibition. I hope that you'll take a look at their work.
Related links
Linking parties
Great news! My mosquito proofing was features on Put your foot down. Thanks Denise 😊

Free Motion Mavericks


Welcome to week 489 of Free Motion Mavericks. You don't need to be FMQ to link up! Here are the projects from last week that included FMQ, ruler work or walking foot quilting. 

Gail from Quilting Gail adapted the Sly Fox pattern to make this cute Forest Friends quilt. Doesn't he shine in those Island Batik fabrics? This was made for her guild's Baby Quilt Challenge. Gail did a lot of FMQ and used the Silly Moon “Rocket” for the straight lines and outline quilting. Check out her post to see more details of the FMQ.

Gail's Forest Friends Quilt

Gretchen from Gretchen's Little Corner is still quilting up a storm on her domestic machine. These two beauties, Summer Garden, are going to the local cancer centre. Gretchen quilted-in-the-ditch. I'm sure that they will make someone smile!

Gretchen's Summer Garden quilts

It's now your turn.

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

7 comments:

  1. Ton bloc bleu est beau et frais, et oui, on dirait bien un papillon ;) Reposes-toi bien après cette période intense d'exposition, tu le mérites bien !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. Le repos a beaucoup aidé et je suis en meilleur forme. Si la chaleur peut nous laisser, ça sera superbe. Profite bien de tes vacances. Bises.

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of screen on the swing. A porch swing was left at the house we purchased last year and I love it but right now the mosquitos are terrible. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love your mosquito netting and butterfly table scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project with the mosquito netting for your swing! I know you will enjoy it! Your RSC scrappy block looks great too! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for hosting Monday Musings. I love your quotes. I used to hate Mondays but now that I'm retired, they're not so bad :-)

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)