Sunday, March 24, 2024

Irish Chain - Project Quilting, Challenge 6 of Season 15

Hi and welcome! A quick and short post to join in the Project Quilting (PQ) 15.6, Irish Chain. 

Scrappy Irish Chain Cuddle Quilt


Scrappy Irish Chain cuddle quilt

It's done with less than an hour to spare. And now I'm quickly writing up this short post 😎!

Cuddle quilt ready to be handed in to my local guild

This is where I left off on Thursday - the flimsy of the Irish Chain cuddle quilt. Of course, I got involved in other fun scrappy projects and only remembered yesterday that the cuddle quilt needed to be finished by Sunday noon! 

Scrappy cuddle quilt top

Here's the cuddle quilt, with the Irish Chain blocks stitched-in-the-ditch. I wanted to make sure that they would show up well. I also attached the binding by machine at that time. 

Stitching-in-the-ditch around the 9 patch or Irish chain blocks

Since I still had a couple of hours left, I free motion quilted (FMQ) in the large white blocks. It needed to be simple and quick. My daughter suggested the sun, clouds, etc. So that's how I started. Here are a few of the blocks.

FMQ a sailboat on the water and a fish

FMQ a house, tree and flower

FMQ Sun

FMQ an evergreen tree

FMQ a tree and tulips

FMQ Moon

I thought that I was finished but then added some swirls and loops in the small border. 

Thanks so much Trish and Kim for another great Project Quilting year!

What I learned
  • I should have started quilting this piece last night but I was near the end of a book and decided that the listening to the audiobook is what I wanted to do. I'm retired, so I can do that!
  • Of course this morning I sort of regretted my decision but oh well, it was a great book! 😊
  • The Irish Chain piecing went well and I'm happy with my accuracy - it's really not bad!
  • It was less fun FMQ in a hurry but that's ok. The cuddle quilt is done and looks fine. I'm sure that the baby will be happy!
  • This is the last of Project Quilting, Season 15. I did join in 4 of the 6 challenges. The hourglass challenge was started but I forgot about it. I hope to finish it some day (another mini UFO)!
Related links
Linking parties

Project details



Scrappy Irish Chain cuddle quilt
made for Project Quilting 15.6
Size: 22" x 22"
Material: commercial cotton
Technique: piecing, stitch-in-the-ditch with walking food and free motion quilted



7 comments:

  1. Cute little quilt! I love the idea of using different designs in the white blocks, it almost looks like embroidery in the close-up photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun mini quilt. The quilting is really fun. Congrats on finishing off another challenge project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kate. I wasn't sure that I would make the deadline but I did, with minutes to spare :-)

      Delete
  3. Trop mignon ce petit quilt ! Le FMQ est très réussi, bonne idée ce thème nature, et tant mieux si le livre était passionnant ;) Merci pour le partage !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique - et tu comprends bien! Bonne semaine. Bises

      Delete
  4. What a lovely cuddle quilt and fantastic quilt for the final PQ prompt of 2024. I'm sure it is going to be well loved. Thanks for linking up with Favorite Finish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the FMQ you chose! Those squares look pretty small. Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)