Saturday, March 02, 2024

Fun with Red Scraps - Love All Around

Hi and welcome 😊 Today it's about a scrappy challenge done with hand-stitching and embroidery.

February Table Scraps Challenge - On the Road


The colour for February was red and of course, the theme was hearts. Here's my mini.

Love All Around - Table Scraps Challenge for February: red and hearts

When I realised that I would be away at the end of February, I packed up a little travel pouch of mostly red fabric, both hand-dyed and commercial, as well as thread, perle cotton, scissors, Frixion pen, pins and needles. I also included in the pack my travel light with magnifier.

The small travel pouch with my lamp & magnifier

I made this little piece mostly in the truck, on the way to Toronto. It's on a 4" x 4" white flannel backing. I used 3 different pieces of hand-dyed fabric for the background. I love the yellow-red piece on the top 😊


I started by tracing and cutting out the hearts from commercial fabric. The top two are hubby and I. They are touching but each is fully outlined, even when it goes through the other heart. That's to symbolize that yes, we are together, but we are still individuals.

The next three red hearts symbolize my wonderful adult children, Jeannine and Stéphane and Sarah who is now part of our family. The yellow heart, which touches mostly Stéphane and Sarah but is also part of our sphere, is Poppy. She is very much a part of our family. 😍 We are all surrounded by lots of love!

I enjoying adding texture and dimension to my pieces. These are the scrunched up fabric layers on the side. They can mean absolutely anything that you like since you are the viewer of the art. 😁

On the way home


On the way home, I stopped in at a quilt store in Belleville, Artistic Quilts With Colors. It sure had a lot of funky fabrics! I was very reasonable and only bought 5 beautiful fat quarters, 2 spools of thread and some Tula Pink ribbon. 

Shopping on my way home

Wednesday, when we drove back to Ottawa, the temperature went down by about 20 degrees. The wind was incredible. We were very happy to be back. 

One Monthly Goal
For my March One Monthly Goal, I will finish quilting my girlfriend's quilt. It's about ⅓ done 😊

March OMG - to finish quilting this gorgeous quilt!

What I learned
  • Next time that I pack, I'll have to include some more contrasting fabric and thread. Because I want to do a red piece, doesn't mean that it should all be red! I'm glad that there were some snippets of yellow in there. 
  • The piece looks very red until you look at it closely. A little more contrast, even if it was only the thread, would have been good.
  • I only used my lamp and magnifier a couple of times, but I'm not going anywhere without it! It makes threading a needle so much easier.
  • I also brought a small pair of heavy duty scissors. They were perfect for cutting the little bits of fabric and they actually fit my large, knobby fingers.
  • I've started working on a small mindful stitching piece about my eye. I've been wanting to do this since the fall but it wasn't a happy story at the time. Things are now good and I'm ready. I'm looking forward to sharing it with you.
  • The fabric on which the pouch and mini rest is an ombre fabric that I'll be using for my Two Colour Mystery Quilt with Canuck Quilter Designs. I need to find a light background fabric in my stash and then I'll be ready to start. Hopefully even an accuracy challenged quilter will be able to do it! Update: I've changed my mind on the ombre, I just couldn't find a light fabric in my stash that I liked. I did get some great priced new fabric, so I'll have to show it off as soon as it's washed and cut!
Related links
Linking parties

Project details


Love All Around mindful stitching piece
made for the February Table Scraps Challenge
Size: 4" x 4"
Material: hand-dyed and commercial fabric, thread and perle cotton
Technique: hand stitching and embroidery





17 comments:

  1. Thanks for being such a committed participant that you took your RED/Heart project for the TABLE SCRAPS Challenge with you on your trip, Andree!! I love the fact that your mini is steeped in meaning. Good luck with finishing up your OMG for the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Joyful. I always need something to do for a 5 hour car ride, so this was perfect. I'm glad to report that my OMG was done. I'm now thinking about that purple placemat I want to do. :-)

      Delete
  2. Cette pièce est toute petite, mais tellement pleine de signification !
    Merci de la partager ! Bises

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. Ce n'est pas la grosseur qui compte eh? Bises.

      Delete
  3. I loved reading your comments about the red, but especially the lessons learned. There is a lot of food for thought there. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pamela. I love that we can learn from anything we do if we take the time to reflect on it. Thanks for dropping by and your lovely comment.

      Delete
  4. What a fun little mindful composition! I love that they're hand-dyed fabrics. Thanks for hooking up with TGIFF too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deonn. I love using hand-dyed fabrics and will have to make some as my stash of gifted fabric gets smaller! That will be a great project!

      Delete
  5. Love the quilting you've done on it so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Anne-Marie. I'm so glad that it was a successful finish!

      Delete
  6. Your red piece looks great and I love the way the hearts all represent your family members :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun finish from the road. It's very hard to stitch when you are traveling, you did really well at sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I really love stitching on the road and since I only do a small percentage of the driving, that's usually a lot of time.

      Delete
  8. I love your little red stitching that was done while traveling and has so much meaning for you! I'd like to try adding stitches like you did when working on an improv piece like that. It looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diann, it really is a lot of fun - and because it's improv, anything goes, even with the stitching!

      Delete
  9. Such a fun post! I look forward to seeing what you land on for the 2 colour mystery - I'm still debating... why is it harder for me than scrappy? I need to just pick 2 and start! I need to get a portable lamp/magnifier also... do you like this one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy. I really love my OttLite. I got it at Michael's. You can go scrappy with the mystery quilt, but then you should only use one scrappy colour. I wasn't in the mood to dig and cut my scraps at this point. Good luck!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)