Sunday, March 17, 2024

2 Colour Mystery Quilt and Updates

Hi and welcome. I hope that you're having a great weekend. I've been working on a few of my ongoing projects. Thanks for letting me share these with you. 😊 

Making HSTs (half-square triangles)


This week's clue for the Mystery Quilt was to create HST. Amazingly enough, it's one of the blocks that I'm pretty good at. I make them two at a time, and because there's always a little bit of wiggle room to square them up, they usually come out pretty accurately. 😁

That's a LOT of half-square triangles (48 and 24!)

Blocks and HSTs made, with a couple of extra cut pieces


I've never participated in a mystery quilt before, and I wondered how they would keep the finished piece a mystery. After all, once you make a block or two, you're bound to have an idea of what the quilt will look like. So, instead of making blocks, the mystery is prolonged by getting you to put minor things together like partial blocks and HST. It makes use of the production line concept.

FM Embroidering the Noon Sun


Making the second Sun for my hanging outdoor piece was much easier once I'd made the sunrise sun (see Related links below). The Sunrise Sun isn't quite finished but the FM embroidering is done. For the Noon Sun, instead of using a scarf, I used a long piece of yellow organza folded in half with a layer of yellow tulle in the middle.

Noon Sun free motion embroidered in 2 shades of yellow

I couldn't help it, I ended up embroidering past the 6" border. When I finished embroidering, I tried out an 8" hoop since it fit into it.

Trying the piece in an 8" hoop

I then placed it in the 6" hoop and loved the effect that the extra stitching has outside of the hoop. 

I love how the stitching looks on the outside of the centre

I'm not thrilled with the inside of the hoop, but I'll add some hand-embroidery with 2 shades of yellow perle cotton to give it more texture and interest. I may also add some beads to make it twinkle outside. At this time, I'm thinking that cutting the sheer fabric outside of the hoop to make it move in the wind, could be cool 😎


I'll be embroidering the centre with perle cotton and possibly adding beads

What I learned
  • I'm thrilled that the production line of the HSTs went well.
  • It's funny how some quilting blocks are easy and other not so much. I think that I have a lot of experience making those HST.
  • I've also been playing with the embroidery hoop of Sunrise. I'll share this with you when I get it right - it's been an interesting journey!
  • I'm looking forward to embroidering the Noon Sun. I'll be linking this post on Slow Sunday Stitching and hope to play with it today.
  • I can't wait to start those clouds and birds, which is the next level of the hanging piece. That's going to take some ingenuity. 
  • Next week I want to start sewing together some of the panels for Hubby's panel quilt. Hopefully that will go well. 
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties, including Slow Sunday Stitching and Free Motion Mavericks😀. Why not check them out if you get a chance. Off The Wall Friday, Put Your Foot DownPatchwork & Quilts, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2024



8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of cutting the sheer fabric outside the hoop of your sunny embroidery. Embroidering a little over what you have stitched sounds fun. I always think there are so many ways one can turn squares and HSTs into a pattern I perhaps wouldn't be quite sure which way the mystery quilt is heading. But then my head is more often than not a little muddly. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim. I'm really looking forward to seeing how my sun comes out - I never really know. As for the mystery quilt, I don't have a clue since I really don't make many traditional quilts. But so far it's been fun, so that's what counts. :-)

      Delete
  2. I enjoy a good mystery. I do wonder what the final setting is going to be, but I don't usually try to guess, I just enjoy the process. Your noon sun is looking good, you've got some very interesting design concepts to explore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate. I got the third clue this week, so will start sewing some blocks together. As you say, I may as well enjoy the process. It's also great to be learning and practicing these skills. Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. I'm intrigued by your sun project. I'll have to keep checking back to see it all come together. Mysteries: I've never done one myself, until hosting this one! I have to say it's been challenging not letting the cat out of the bag too early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne. The Mystery quilt is an interesting process and so far, I'm really enjoying it and learning lots. I'm also intrigued by my Sun project and getting a little nervous. Playing with piecing and my scrappy projects is helping.

      Delete
  4. The sun project looks like fun. Enjoy the mystery - love the HSTs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. I'm a little nervous about my sun project but I'm sure that the confidence and the inspiration will come. Now to sew those HST and make blocks!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)