Friday, February 09, 2024

Project Quilting 15.3 - Inside Out, Challenge 3

Hi and welcome to another Project Quilting (PQ) challenge. This week, we were asked to create a quilt based on the theme, Inside Out. What an interesting idea. It did take me a while to figure out what I wanted to do. The obvious would have been to make a mini quilt with the seams showing, but I was hoping for something a little more original. 

Inside Out or Inside Looking Out


I ended up making a meditation piece with a backing and many layers of fabric that were all hand-stitched. I also did a little bit of research on how or what do fish see. Are these enough clues?

Inside looking out - from a fish's perspective

I was dog sitting this week and brought a few things with me, but there's always something missing, like scissors and the right thread colour! With pins, borrowed scissors and lots of patience (NOT), I created an outline of my fish bowl. I had a great time creating the window, curtains and couch. It took me a while to get all of those French Knots done but I wanted it to look like pebbles at the bottom of the aquarium. 
Almost done!

When I got home, I found the right coloured thread and then looked in my scraps for things that I could add to the room. The sewing machine and bear were great. Then I place the organza over the whole piece and stitched along the aquarium lines (the dark blue) and the bubbles. I took my sharpest scissors to cut the fabric as close to the stitching as I dared.

I added the plant at the bottom of the aquarium and finally found a fish to make it super obvious that it was an aquarium.

Inside Looking Out - in my mindful stitching journal

What I learned
  • I love the addition of the organza. I didn't iron it on purpose so that the creases look like the distorted view through the glass.
  • In my research, I found that fish can see very well, just differently from us. They also don't see the water, just like we don't see the air.
  • I've added this piece to my Mindful stitching journal.
Related links
Linking parties

Project details



Mindful stitching piece: Inside looking out - from a fish's perspective.
Made for Project Quilting 15.3 - Inside Out
Size: 4" x 5½"
Materials: flannel base, hand-dyed and commercial cotton, and organza, thread and embroidery floss
Techniques: hand-stitching and embroidery



16 comments:

  1. You nailed it! Very interesting take. Thanks for linking up with TGIFF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good idea and very nicely made :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine. I'm really happy with how it came out!

      Delete
  3. How fun! Hope you had a lot of fun creating it. Great idea for the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, I really love creating these little hand-stitched minis. They are always lots of fun :-)

      Delete
  4. What a unique interpretation of the theme, Andree!! Me? I went with the "obvious" choice. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Joyful, I was close to doing the same but wanted something different but not too difficult!

      Delete
  5. What a fun idea, Andree!!! The organza was such a nice touch! How did you happen to have that on hand, I wonder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy, you should see all of the organza and other translucent fabrics that I have! I've even dyed a few :-)....or was that a rhetorical question? Have a great day.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)