Wednesday, March 27, 2024

Celebrating 12 Years of Blogging

Hi and welcome 😊. Today is my blogging anniversary. Twelve years ago I wrote my first post. It was probably read by my family and friends. I didn't care if anyone else was reading it, I just wanted to record my quilting journey. And what a journey it's been. I want to thank all my readers for sharing this with me.

Twelve Years Ago!


My first post! 😊

Scrappy Purple Placemat


It's still a work-in progress (WIP). 

Purple placemat - almost done!

It started with a couple of blocks made up of squares and rectangles. I then found the batik triangle and a great strip to work with it. That made a lovely triangle block.

Original blocks sewn together

This block was larger than I needed, so it got chopped up! I always feel empowered when I do that😁

Only half of this block made it into the placemat

At the bottom, you can see my first two blocks and half of my other block. I then decided that long, slim lines would be nice.

Original 2 blocks sewn together with half of the other block.
Long slim strips added after the blocks

On the top of those original blocks, I stitched many wonky blocks. I love it when the fabric is a weird shape within the block.

A few wonky blocks thrown in!

A couple of wonky blocks inside this block

Once the major blocks are stitched together, it's a matter of adding strips of fabric to make the placemat wide and high enough. I needed a couple of extra inches on the top, so just added the one batik fabric strip. The right side also got a few strips sewn in.

Blocks assembled to the right size

I'm sorry that the pictures are not in order. I didn't take many photos as I was putting things together. Most of the photos were taken tonight with the placemat partially FMQ.

What I learned
  • On 12 years of blogging
    • It's amazing what I've learned in 12 years!
    • I now have a format that I follow and that works for me.
    • I often refer to my previous blog posts when I'm making something that is similar.
    • I do wish that I had a better labeling system but as the search function in Blogger works well, I can still find things.
    • One of my goals is to post at least as many posts in the year as the last year. I started my first year with 8 posts (when I had no idea what to say!) I'm now writing about 68 posts a year. At this time I can't imagine writing more, but who knows. I write when I have something to share.😊
    • I try to update the look of my blog, at the very least the header, once a year (which I haven't done yet).
    • I plan to update my "Projects from Books, Mags & Patterns" page to include other media such as YouTube videos, etc.
    • I will also be creating more specialty pages for things such as Hand-made books.
    • I love the wonderful community of quilty friends that I've made through the years. It's so great to be able to share my passion with others who "get" it😁
    • Thanks so much for being there, for reading, commenting etc. I appreciate it so much 😍
  • Purple Placemat
    • This purple placemat is much more of an improv piece than my other placemats. It seems that my improv piecing is getting bolder. What fun!
    • I love alternating between larger fabric pieces and tiny ones. 
    • Too many tiny pieces make the whole too busy, so adding strips vertically and horizontally pulls it together.
    • It's funny how the last piece of FMQ has influenced this piece. When I started FMQ the placemat, I was drawn to quilt the same gentle curves that I had quilted on my girlfriend's quilt. 
    • After I realised what I was doing, I started to change it up by more intentional in my quilting.
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out after you link up below? Put your foot downNeedle & Thread ThursdayOff The Wall Friday, Finished (Or Not) FridayPatchwork & QuiltsSew & Tell,

Free Motion Mavericks


This is week 475 of Free Motion Mavericks' linking party. Last week was very busy with some wonderful quilting going on! Let's check them out.

Preeti of Sew Preeti Quilts has created another beauty! Her latest quilt is called Lula May and it was created as part of the Ambassador's Choice with Island Batiks. Below is a photo of her quilting.

Lula May by Preeti

Preeti used her favorite squiggle stitch with her walking foot.

Next we have Denise of A Quiltery with her amazing quilt that she created for the Give It A Whirl block hop. Those pinwheel look great among the many, many nine patch blocks.  

Denise's pinwheels surrounded by many lovely nine patch blocks

A picture of Loki with a close-up of the FMQ

We have another participant of the Give It A Whirl block hop. Gail of Quilting Gail has created a whole quilt of pinwheels - some in colourful fabric while others are FMQ. What an wonderful fun quilt!

Look at Gail's intricate FMQ pinwheels

Here's a close-up of Gail's FMQ pinwheels

Deb, A Scrappy Quilter, has fashioned two cuddly little quilts for the grandkids to use around the campfire. They are made from many baby sleepers.

Boy sleepers used to make another cuddly little quilt by Deb

A sweet cuddly little quilt made by Deb

Kathy of Hazel's Daughter blog made a beautiful runner for Project Quilting 15.6: Irish Chain. If you're curious about her Irish Chain variation, read up on it here

Variation on the Irish Chain by Kathy

A close-up of the quilting by Kathy

Sandra of mmm quilts finished FMQ her Rainbow Fish Stay At Home Round Robin (SAHRR). Her quilt and her FMQ are amazing!

Here's a close-up of some of the quilting by Sandra

Sandra's Rainbow Fish in front of a local mural

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

10 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your Blogaversary, Andree! That's a lot of talking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raewyn, for an introvert, it sure is! Thanks so much for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! That is quite an accomplishment. I used to be pretty faithful in posting my finishes, but it has been almost 1-1/2 years since my last blog. I don't know why. It isn't hard to do and doesn't take that long. You have done well to keep up with it. You have encouraged me to get back at it. I've certainly been quilting but I have just failed to post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pamela, since you visit so many blogging sites, you may as well join in the fun. I'd love to see what you're up to!

      Delete
  3. These are gorgeous! Your first post is a lot like mine, giggles. Deep down you really hoped someone outside your inner circle would read it but you were ok if they did not. But, you would be disappointed if they didn't. Thank you for sharing my finish. I'm not sure if my sewing room is okay to add to your party so it's okay if you remove it. Thank you for the linky party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise, you're absolutely right...and eventually people outside of my circle have visited and left lovely comments like yours :-) It's terrific that you're joining up to the party - we do want to see your sewing room. I have space envy ;-)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your Blog-anniversary! That's a lot of posts and tons of learning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Gail. It is so much learning - most of the time I love writing as much as making. It just depends on my energy levels but I'm glad that I have FM Mavericks to make me post at least once a week. Thanks for dropping by. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  5. Félicitations, 12 ans c'est l'âge de raison ;)) Bravo pour ton set de table aussi, il est magnifique en violet. J'aime bien les petites fleurs qui apportent une touche printanière et colorée !
    Merci pour le partage ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique! Parfois je me demande si j'ai passé l'âge de raison. Je sais que je m'amuse, ce qui est le plus important ;-) Merci pour le party et tes gentils commentaires.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)