Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Green Improv Placemat for the January Table Scraps Challenge

Allô and welcome 😊 It's been a very busy and productive week. This post is for the January Table Scraps Challenge hosted by the Joyful Quilter. Since the challenge doesn't aligned with my blogging schedule, I've decided to make this a Free Motion Mavericks linkup post (Week 467) that is opening very early. I hope that you're all fine with this. I think I need a short break!

Green improv placemat


The colour of the month is green. Since it's hubby's favourite colour, he's getting a green placemat. Yeah! Now we all have a lovely scrappy improv placemat!

Green scrappy improv placemat

There isn't much to say about the scraps or the placemat. I used a number of different greens to give it some interest. I even got to use a leftover binding - that's the first time that it's happened!

For the free motion quilting (FMQ), since the theme was snowflake, I decided to use designs that included different seasons. There is a tree, flowers, leaves and the snowflakes. The snowflakes are in the bottom left side on very light green fabric.

Here are pictures of the three scrappy placemats on the kitchen table. 

Three colourful scrappy placemats

Another picture of the colourful scrappy placemats

Here they all are!

What I learned
  • When I was taking the pictures, I realised how small these placemats are. I may have to make some bigger ones eventually.
  • We still have tons of the original 12 placemats that I made. We'll probably end up using those most of the time. It's just nice to change things up.
  • The FMQ really shows up well on the back of the placemat but not at all in the pictures.
  • I'm looking forward to washing it so that it will have those lovely wrinkles. 
Related links
Linking parties

Free Motion Mavericks


A big thank you to everyone who linked up! I closed last week's link a little early so please feel free to link up below. Here are the FMQ projects from last weeki!

Gail made a gorgeous "Bunny Hugs" quilt with Island Batik’s “Baby Bloomers” collection and Porcelain Fireside for the bunnies. This was for the White Rabbit Blog Hop. Gail used her walking foot for the bunnies' quilt and stippling in the border. 

A gorgeous "Bunny Hugs" quilt by Gail 

The Joyful Quilter FMQ her January Table Scraps piece. It's a lovely snowflake! It was a UFO called SNOWFLAKE at Midnight. Congrats on a great finish!

SNOWFLAKE at Midnight by the Joyful Quilter

It's now your turn. 😎

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

14 comments:

  1. Lots of fun GREEN scraps in hubby's placement, Andree, and thanks for featuring my project in your Free Motion Mavericks post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyful, so happy that you could join the linky. The placemats look great, if not a little small. Oh shucks, I just might have to make more!

      Delete
  2. Love the improve placemats, great way to enjoy lots of fabrics every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb, I really love them but they are a little small. I just may have to make more :-) Thanks for dropping by and linking up!

      Delete
  3. Those placemats look great. It's a great way to use scraps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janine, they really are perfect to using all shapes and sizes of scraps. Take care.

      Delete
  4. I think your scrappy placemats are so fun, Andree! They're my favorite kind to set the table with, and bring out all the color. Looks it was time for your husband to get his own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diann, it was past the time for his. Now I'll be making purple and neutral ones for my son and his fiancé. That'll happen when ever those colour come up!

      Delete
  5. C'est une belle et joyeuse table, très chouettes tes sets de table ! Et c'est vrai que le vert est très beau ;) Trop petits ? Ah, de nouveaux projets en perspective, alors ;D
    Merci pour le partage !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. C'est vrai que ça fait une joyeuse table. Je devrai en faire une mauve pour la fiancé de mon fils et une neutre pour lui. Je suis certaine que ça arrivera quelque temps cette année :-)

      Delete
  6. Very fun and colorful placements. You used some cool quilting motifs on the green one. Happy stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cool mat!!!! and seeing them all together is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Alycia. I'm looking forward to getting to the purple month to make another one :-)

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)