Tuesday, January 09, 2024

So much slow stitching going on

Hi! I hope that you're doing well! I've been doing so much slow stitching in the last few days, some of it mindfully and all of it playfully with gratitude! 😊 It's a lovely start to the year. And, I woke up to lots of snow on the ground. It had to happen and it is really lovely. The reflection of the light on the snow makes for bright days, even when it's cloudy.😎

Daily Stitching


In my planning post, I mentioned that I would like to have a daily stitching practice, possibly some intuitive stitching à la Karen Turner. If you don't know this artist, check her out in Related links below. 

I was thinking of a small panel but remembered that I bought a hand-woven cotton tablecloth in Istanbul's Grand Bazaar in 2012. I bought it because it had squares that could be embroidered. It's about time that it got stitched!😊

Using a handwoven tablecloth to stitch my daily blocks

The tablecloth is 16 squares wide by 20 squares long. That's 320 squares, so almost enough for a full year! There are 3 rectangles between each square so that each block is evenly spaced. I started on January 4th, so had a few blocks to catch up on. 

Six blocks stitched to date.

I started to write this post on January 6th but realised that my pictures were pretty horrible. I didn't think that it mattered if I ironed the cloth, but for the pictures, it sure did. So, it's taken me 3 days to finally get around to that. Now I have a little bit more catching up to do. As you can see, it's a daily-ish challenge or practice.

Here are closer images of each stitched area.

January 1 and 2

Walking down the path.
Is the path uneven?

If feels like spring.
Dreaming of flowers.











  




January 3 and 4

Leaves or feathers in the wind.

Flowers for mom.

















January 5 and 6

Memories of the garden path.
Snow is coming.

Life's many curves.
Enjoy the adventure!

















Snow People - Snow Happens


In my planning post, I mentioned that I had started the "Snow Happens" embroidery. It's so cute. Of course, I can't just embroider it - and I can't just use the same blue for the whole thing! That would be boring and I would never get it done. 😊

Here is my progress.

Four of the five snow people partially stitched

I haven't started on the faces or hats since I'm not sure what I want to do with them. I made the first snowman's scarf using a scrap piece of large white yarn that my girlfriend gifted me. I used a cross stitch to keep it on. 

First two snow people

Close up of the first snowman and his scarf

The outlines are done. Now for the fun stuff!


What I learned
  • The tablecloth for the daily stitching is very large. When I stitch on it, it feels like a lovely blanket. It's going to be a lot of fun.
  • Lesson learned - iron the fabric before taking pictures to post!
  • I've been stitching almost every day but needed a couple of days off. I'm really trying to listen to my body and its moods.
  • I do mindful stitching when I'm working on this challenge. Mindful means paying attention to what I'm doing and what I'm feeling in the present. The  audio book is for my other embroidery project.
  • For each square, I pick a few colours and start stitching. The only rule I have is to not undo anything except a minor tangle, if I have to!
  • Snow Happens
    • I haven't figured out what to do for the faces and hats of the snow people yet.
    • I used the iron around the stitched leaves since my stitching was quite different from the outline. However, I'll have to re-do parts of the outline since some of it got erased. 
    • I love the first snowman's scarf and I want to do something similar for each of the scarves, hats and jacket.  
    • I'm starting another audiobook, so that the snow people should stitch up quickly!

Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Let's see what's going on out there! Design Wall Monday, Sew & Tell, Midweek Makers, Put your foot down, Patchwork & Quilts, Slow Sunday Stitching


12 comments:

  1. Your tablecloth embroidery project is such a wonderful idea, Andree! It will be beautiful when you've filled in all the squares. I love the Snow Happens design, too - those are cute snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diann. The tablecloth will be special (and I hope stunning!) when it's done. Those snow people are so cute. I'm looking forward to turning it into a wall hanging. Take care.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Year! Your table cloth is going to be wonderful when it's finished but also a lovely project to work on over the year. I'm also looking forward to seeing more of your fun snow people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Janine. I'm really loving the slow stitching. It comes more in small bursts than daily, but that's fine.

      Delete
  3. Oh my. I just love the tablecloth. I am absolutely terrible at embroidery and know the only way to get better is to actually practice it. What a great project. It will be BEAUTIFUL when its done! I might have to start looking for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. This type of project is very forgiving since you essentially make it up as you go. If it's wonky, you can actually accentuate the wonkiness so that it looks intentional :-)

      Delete
  4. I love your tablecloth. Be sure to include the year in one if the blocks! Thanks for joining Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cette grande pièce de tissu est le support idéal pour ces carrés de broderie ! Quelle bonne idée, et tes broderies sont belles, avec une histoire ou souvenir pour chacune.
    Les bonshommes de neige sont trop mignons !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. J'aime bien ces deux projets. Je dois penser à comment faire les têtes des bonshommes de neige. Ils seront plus heureux après ça :-)

      Delete
  6. I love the idea of using the tablecloth for your daily stitching and look forward to seeing the progress. Love the Snowmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Deb. I'm glad that they are coming along.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)