Thursday, January 11, 2024

Working on Project Quilting 15.1 at Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 564 of Free Motion Mavericks. In the last few days, we've had cold and wind, snow, then snow pellets followed by freezing rain. Tomorrow it's going to be cold (it's all relative!) and sunny. It's January and winter in Ottawa. 😊

Working with Solvy


After a lot of searching in my studio, I found my Solvy water soluble stabilizer where it was supposed to be, but at the bottom of the container. That's why I missed it the first time. 

A nest of thread and yarn for my bird's nest

The theme this week on Project Quilting, Season 15, is birdhouse. Since I only have a week to finish the piece, I want to keep it simple. I'm making a nest of thread using Solvy. Once it's dry, I'm hoping to cut it and possibly mold it, into a bird's nest. If I have to mold it, I can wet it a bit again since there is still glue in it.

I used the heavy Solvy as the base and attached a light version on top of the thread sandwich. I free motion stitched it in a hoop but with the light stabilizer on top, I couldn't see where I had stitched. So I removed the sandwich from my hoop and flipped it over to stitch from the back. It doesn't make any difference since I'm using the same thread in the top and bobbin.

The top of the sandwich with a lighter stabilizer

Back of the Solvy sandwich of thread
where you can see the stitching 

I took the photos above after I had trimmed the excess stabilizer so as not to have too much glue in the final product. Below, you can see the thread sandwich after it's been rinsed. It's still a sandwich, but it's my FMQ thread that's keeping it together.

This is the top of the sandwich

Here you can see the thread that was at the bottom

It's now hanging to dry. Tomorrow afternoon, I'll deal with this to make the nest.

Here are the notes that I took as I was thinking about the piece. 
  • Hazy background?
  • Branch (appliquĂ© or stitched) with a 3D nest (attach the Solvy half sandwich)
  • Mama bird on the branch (appliquĂ©)
  • Possibly a few chicks in the nest with open beaks
  • Use bird photos from this summer

Bird photos


I've just traced one of the birds from my photos. The closeup image isn't great, but it was good enough to trace. I'll be creating the bird separately as an appliqué and then adding it to the piece. I haven't decided yet if it will be a "real" bird or a fanciful one.
Closeup of the bird that I traced

It was party time at the feeder!

For your enjoyment, another full house!


What I learned
  • I've got an idea and notes on how it might be done. 
  • I'm just totally winging it. Based on experience, it'll work. It's mostly a matter of how well.
  • I've been wanting to make some bird art quilts since I took those pictures this summer. I really did fall in love with the families of birds that fed in my back yard.
  • I'm looking forward to playing with the Solvy mass of threads and turn it into a 3D bird's nest.  
  • If I don't run into technical challenges, it could be done by Sunday noon.
Related links

Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out after you've linked up below? Off The Wall Friday


Free Motion Mavericks


Last week, Bernie at Needle & Foot had her first finish of the year! She practiced her free motion quilting (FMQ) on a quilt for the grandkids to use. She choose a design from Christina Cameli's Step-by-step Free-Motion Quilting. Have a look at the great quilt she made!

The first finish of the year by Bernie at Needle & Foot

Look at that soft quilty back!

Sandra at mmm quilts had another stunning finish! This is Sofia's quilt - a commission for a baby girl. Look at those gorgeous hearts and feathers! The pattern, created by Sandra, is Sunset Strips.

Sofia's quilt by Sandra at mmm quilts
 
Details of the quilting on Sofia's quilt
It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see how that solvy works. Those threads will make a pretty nest :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope that you come back to see the finished result.

      Delete
  2. Love your birdhouse and the Solvy is perfect for it. I love the idea of using the loose threads for the birds' nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen. I'm sure that my local birds end up using some of my threads in their nests :-)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the feature! Great idea to use Solvy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra. It was a great way to get ready for my summer outdoor projects.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)