Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Back to FMQ the T-shirt Quilt on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 460 of Free Motion Mavericks. I have been able to do free motion quilting (FMQ) this week. It felt good to be back home and at my Jag (my sewing machine) 😁 

FMQ the T-shirts


I started quilting the outlines of the hearts on this lovely t-shirt. Once I finished the hearts, I added the row of ruffle to the top of the block. Isn't it cute? 😍 I'll come back and do the sashing when I have blue thread in the machine. 

Lovely heart t-shirt with a ruffle

I then FMQ some of the t-shirts whose sashing I had previously quilted. In this case, I just wanted to keep it simple. They are mostly wavy lines.

The three high school t-shirts ✔

I just FMQ around the people and outlined the letters. After adding the photo to this post, I decided that it needed a little more quilting.

Outlining the group and name

Adding more swirls in white









I then started another t-shirt block. On this one I fudged improvised the sashing a lot because the t-shirt had to be cut at odd angles. I FMQ linked squares and rectangles and then went around the letters. I didn't want to stitch over the image too much because it's rubbery, but I went around the hat and it seems ok. I love the sentiment of this t-shirt...I guess my niece and I have that in common 😊

Linked squares and rectangles in the sashing

Here are a couple more blocks. I had fun with the Bridge t-shirt. I FMQ clouds in the sky, then water below, with fish and a sailboat. It's not obvious but it will be a fun discovery 😊 I'll be FMQ the border when that navy blue thread comes out!

Bridge t-shirt with FMQ landscape elements 

For this t-shirt block, I used some dot-to-dot type FMQ for the sashing. The sides have rather rough diamonds, the bottom is covered with echoed paisley and the top is another variation from the dot-to-dot design. On the t-shirt itself, I quilted a row of meandering flowers at the bottom and then some swirls. I also outlined the girl. Isn't she precious? She reminds me of my niece when she was young!

Dot-to-dot variations in the sashing

For this next t-shirt, I had a dilemma. I FMQ the Anna Canada t-shirt following the very faint lines that are in the t-shirt fabric, and I outlined the numbers. However, you can probably see the extra t-shirt fabric on one side. It's more than a little pucker and it will be vulnerable to ripping so I went back and sewed it down by giving it a slight tuck. It took quite a few lines of stitches but it's better than a huge pucker. 

Puckers stitched down
A dilemma that
needed to be fixed

















The emoji t-shirt was FMQ with a kind of flowing algae design with white thread. It's much better than what I usually do, which is to circle around each element. 

I went back to the music t-shirt and added more looped filling within the t-shirt. As I cropped the image, I realise that I'd be going back once more to put a few lines between the locations at the back of the t-shirt. That has flatten it out well.
Additional lines of FMQ to flatten the t-shirt

The back of the t-shirt 
















Here is the t-shirt that I was working on when I ran out of bobbin thread and called it a day. I have to eventually publish this post! For this pink t-shirt, I'm FMQ some allover large echoed flowers. It's a lot of fun but is time consuming.  

FMQ allover large echoed flowers

What I learned
  • The FMQ goes quickly when I know what design I'm going to use. It always slows down when I have to think of something new to use.
  • I spent a few hours looking for and drawing out some fun designs. This time, I went back to Leah Day's 365 Free Motion Quilting Designs. I drew then out and added them to my FMQ journal to keep track of.
  • It turns out that even if there is no batting, I still need to quilt all over or there will be loose fabric that can get caught, as I showed you. 
  • Considering how accuracy challenged I am, I'm pleasantly surprised that there haven't been more problems.
  • I did manage to cut the backing too much at the top of the high school t-shirts. I left the top sashing unquilted for now, so that I can add a couple of inches of backing. 😒
  • Of the 25 t-shirt blocks, I have 7 more blocks to complete, 1 t-shirt only to FMQ (not the sashing) and I've almost finished the pink all-over block.
  • All of this, including the binding needs to be finished by next Wednesday. It will be done ✔
Related links
Linking parties

Free Motion Mavericks


There were no link ups last week. I don't think there were issues with InLinkz. If there are, please let me know in the comments. Thanks.


You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Pat. I really have to get this one done so that it can get to my niece in her brother's luggage - all the way to Denmark!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the linky. I am on the fence over tshirt quilts, my first and only one was kind of a nightmare. I love what you are doing with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise. Frankly I hope to never make another one, at least as a queen size. It wouldn't be as bad if it was just a throw. Don't to there if you don't have to :-)

      Delete
  3. You are making good progress and it's looking great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Raewyn. I hope that you're having a good time blogging every day! That is so beyond me. Going to read your latest posts now :-)

      Delete
  4. Very fun quilting for each shirt. You've made good progress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Très joli ce quilting autour des dessins des t-shirts ! J'aime beaucoup les petits coeurs ;))
    Merci pour le partage !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never made a t-shirt quilt. Yours is coming along beautifully though. I hear you on the deadline. I'm not making Christmas gifts this year, but most years, I make most of my gifts. Most years I am up in the wee hours before Christmas trying to get things finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurie, sorry that I'm so late in replying. The t-shirt quilt was done on time and delivered to Denmark to my niece. I'm happy to say that she loved it. I try not to make Christmas presents any more - those deadlines are nasty. I hope that you were able to enjoy a stress free Christmas! Happy New Year.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)