Friday, November 17, 2023

Updates on Free Motion Mavericks

Welcome to week 456 of Free Motion Mavericks. I've had to do some travelling and haven't done much in my studio, or even in the car. Good news though, the snow is gone and the temperature is a little higher. I hope you're having a good autumn 🍂  

FMQ on the t-shirt quilt


I FMQ (free motion quilted) the block that contained the smaller crests. It was quick and easy with flowing, wavy serpentine lines. I used a dark gray top thread. In the soccer crest, I added a row of larger pebbles. I also echoed the track & field crest (it was on a cap).

A series of wavy serpentine lines

Next to the above block is a back sweatshirt. I decided to use the same top gray thread and FMQ some feathers. The sweatshirt is from Laws in Motion - a gymnastic organisation. In my mind, feathers have lots of motion with those lovely curved edges. I've done about half of the border and hope to finish it today. I'm thinking of using just large curves and hoops for the inside of the sweatshirt.

Feathers in the sweatshirt border


Booklet samples


I was supposed to lead a playdate for the Out of the Box (OOTB) Fibre Artists group on Monday but it had to be cancelled because I had to be out of town. It will be rescheduled for the winter. Here are the booklet or journal samples that I made for the class.

These are the 5 sample journals that I made. I wanted to try using different kinds and sizes of cardboard. Three of the booklets are made from legal size folders. You may recognize the washi tape journal at the left. The next one is essentially the same but wasn't decorated while the flat red one is the largest journal that I could make with the legal size folders.

Samples of booklets or journals made with cardboard covers

I had a really lovely box that I got when I bought cupcakes. I used the box to create this little cuty. 

A Cupcake Lounge box booklet

This next one was made from the sides of a tissue box. I absolutely love it! I put a Scotty button at the end of the thread that keeps the journal closed.

A small booklet made from a tissue box

These are the first three journals that I made using this technique. If you're curious and want to learn more, check out the link to the post in Relating Links below. I've updated the links.

First three booklets or journals using this technique

Abstract Free Motion Embroidered Landscape


In case you missed it, my last post was also FMQ related. If this peaks your interest, check out Related links below.

Black and White image

FM embroidery


What I learned
  • The t-shirt quilt is coming along well, but I'm really monitoring my energy level so that I stop before I get too tired. That's a very difficult lesson for me to learn but it's important because.... 
  • Too tired = mistakes, and I don't want to go there!
  • Many of the t-shirt blocks will have simple FMQ designs, otherwise it will never get done. Besides, you need regular designs for the special ones to shine 😊
  • I'm sorry that I wasn't able to lead our playdate but it's just postponed. I love this particular bookmaking technique because it's easy but very versatile. I know that I'll be making more of these fun booklets to give as gifts.
  • I've been collecting lovely boxes just for that purpose!
  • I did learn something when I made that tiny tissue box booklet. I used heavy wax coated thread for it, but I must have cut the thread too close to the knot because the booklet eventually fell apart. I'll be repairing this one and using perle cotton instead and will keep the knot threads longer!
  • If you're curious and want to learn more about these booklets or journals, check out the link below. 
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. You may want to check them out! Design Wall Monday, Sew & Share, Finished (Or Not) Friday, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Beauties Pageant, Peacock Party, Patchwork & Quilts
I linked the FM Embroidered Landscape to Sandra's DrEAMi post.

Free Motion Maverick


I'm sorry that this post is late. It's also possible that the next couple of weeks' posts won't be done or not on time. It will depend on how I feel and my travelling. Please bear with me.

Donnalee made a very cool fall runner. I love her choice of fabric and colours! 

A very original fall runner by Donnalee

Last week Gail taught a Christmas tree skirt class and made one for herself! Here is one of her previous Christmas tree skirt. They are all so pretty!

Gail's Christmas tree skirt

Sandra of mmm quilts has another pattern published in Make Modern magazine. Rosebud garland is a very lovely pattern and the picture in the magazine is gorgeous! Congratulations Sandra!

Rosebud garland in
Make Modern magazine
Sandra's Rosebud garland runner and placemats















Sorry that I messed up the party. Hope to see you next week!

4 comments:

  1. Belle avancée sur le T-shirt quilt, j'aime bien ce motif plume tout autour du sweat noir. Et aussi, quel bel usage de ces jolies boßtes ! J'adore la petite carrée !
    Merci pour le partage de lien ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilting on the t-shirt quilt looks great! I would have to pace myself on that, too - it looks like a very physical process. I love your little journals, too. That would be a fun class to take!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diann. It's quite the task but less physically difficult because I'm not using batting. It quilts like a smaller quilt (thank goodness!) Almost done now. The mini journals are on the internet. Let me know if you would like the link.

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)