Hi, Project Quilting, season 14 has started again. The first theme is "The First One". I just had time to make a quick piece. I'm also working on a new slow stitching project.
The First One for Project Quilting
The theme brought me to think of "one" which can be alone but also unique. That's where my thinking stopped!
I found a beautiful, unique piece of hand-marbled fabric that was gifted to me.
|The First One - Unique and Beautiful 😍|
To use the fabric as the binding, I cut the backing and batting about one inch smaller than the front. I then double folded the edge of the front fabric. I machine stitched it from the back.
This is what it looked like with the first fold.
|Fabric folded once for the binding.|
|Folded binding to the back.|
Stitching in the Round
|Stitching in the Round project - so far|
|Playing with possible layouts|
|Attaching the fabrics in the background|
|I haven't finished attaching this beautiful sari yarn|
|Most of the stitching is on this side|
What I learned
- I forgot that the linking party ends at noon CT. That gave me just an hour to write the post!
- I used the walking foot to quilt this since I was having problems with my tension with my FMQ foot. I'm happy to say that this has all be resolved!
- I couldn't help myself, I started another slow stitching project from last week's TextileArtist.org Stitch Club.
- Our workshop teacher, April Sproule, suggested that we use silk organza under our background. I didn't think that I had any that hadn't been pre-washed, but I found some. She's correct when she says that sewing through it is like going through butter!
- It took me a while to figure out what to add to the background. I'm really hoping that it will work. I can always add more or even remove, if I really have to!
- I am happy to say that I am playing, learning and stitching with mindfulness and contentment. So far so good!
- You may have noticed my new blog background. What a job that was since Blogger is always changing how things are done. It's not what I planned to do, but it was the best that I could do at the time. Hopefully I'll figure out how to make some of the changes that I want!
- BTW, Version 2.0 is coming along nicely 😊. I was able to fix the tension so the Travel Adventure is finished. I only have the second third of the Canadian section left. The final post will be on the upcoming Free Motion Mavericks.
- 14.1 – The First One – Challenge 1 of Project QUILTING season 14
- April Sproule, website and Instagram