Sunday, February 19, 2023

Project QUILTING 14.4 – A Novel Project

Yes, I'm back - I can't believe it either, but how could I resist a challenge about books and novels? It just had to happen 😊

A project inspired by books I've read

I have a really, really hard time choosing my favourite books, authors, etc. It all depends on my mood and what's going on in my life at the time. I guess my reading list is like my quilting and art - all over the place 😁 So here's to all of the books that have let me dream, escape, laugh and grow!

Books in my life

My project was inspired by the fabric that I've put aside for last year's Summer Book Challenge with Kate Basti. Instead of making more Tall Tale blocks that wouldn't count as a specific project, I used some of those fabrics to make 2" hexies, English Paper Piecing (EPP) style.

Of the 20 hexies, 4 of them are of books.

Five (5) are beautiful hand-dyed fabrics that represent my love of colour and art and all of the books that I've read on the subject, including novels about artists.

The rest of the hexies, eleven (11) represent the types of books I love. There is a sewing novelty fabric to represent the tons of books that I devour about quilting, as well as the cozy mysteries that I've read. 

The purple fish represent Douglas Adams' book - So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

The large bird with the blue flowers is a Nordic fabric, representing the amazing and scary Nordic Noir novels that I enjoy, even if they sometimes spook me!

The nesting doll and the toucan fabric represent the books that I read about other cultures and countries.

The final four hexies of the squirrel, lama, cactus and colourful bird represent the quirky, fun, fantastical books that take me away on adventures.

Here is one of the photos that I took of the fabric pulled for the Summer Book Challenge. You'll recognize a few.

Fabric pulled for the Summer Book Club

Right now I'm reading up on penguins to get ready for my upcoming trip to Argentina, Chile, Uruguay and Antarctica. 

Reading all about Penguins

Free Motion Quilting


For the FMQ, I stitched around the hexies and then in-the-ditch between the hexies. I then added words that were related to reading and books. They are: books, library, love, reading, knowledge, fiction, history, learn, culture, fantasy, thriller, true, mystery, funny, sad, travel, escape, novel, adventure, poetry and sci-fi.

Books about artists!


What I learned
  • Books are too important to me to skip this Project Quilting challenge, even if I have other things to work on!
  • It's been a long time since I did EPP hexies. I still love it!
  • In 2020, I did a Project Quilting, Challenge 11.2 of Team Colours. Since I'm not a sports fan (or even a team person), I created a book case quilt of my favourite team - Library! See, I really can't resist 😊
  • Thanks so much to Kim and Trish for these wonderful challenges!
My team colours:
The colours of a library





















Related links

Linking parties
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties, including Project QUILTING 14.4 – A Novel Project . Let's check out the other Novel related posts! Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Beauties Pageant, Off The Wall Friday, Oh Scrap!, Slow Sunday StitchingPatchwork & Quilts, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2023Sew & Tell, TGIFF

Project details



Books in my life
Made for Project QUILTING 14.4 – A Novel Project 
Size: 11¼"x 16½"
Material: commercial and hand-dyed fabrics
Techniques: English Paper Piecing (EPP) and free motion quilting (FMQ)




18 comments:

  1. I notice the reading words quilted in, but thanks for sharing the meaning behind your fabric choices, Andree!! You poured a whole LOT of meaning into this small challenge entry. Best of luck on those other projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I have no problem getting excited about books. Just don't ask me to choose a favourite! After I finish procrastinating on my blog, I have better work on some of those projects! Have a great day :-)

      Delete
  2. Oooh, quelle bonne idée de représenter ta bibliothèque préférée de cette façon ! Bravo pour ce challenge, très réussi !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci bien Frédérique. C'est simplement trop difficile de choisir seulement un livre. Merci beaucoup pour le linky!

      Delete
  3. Oh, yes, yes, yes to all things books that cause us to "dream, escape, laugh and grow"! Such a sweet little project revealing to us your love of books and the ones that you have hold dear throughout your life. I think once you love EPP it's always nice to pick up a few hexies and stitch away. How beautiful is your quilt with your "team" of books sitting in the bookcase....so, so lovely, Andree! You are off on an exciting holiday......Antartica.....wow!! Why, that's kinda close to me in Tassie. I would love to experience the wondrous wonder of Antartica. You will have the most wonderful holiday visiting all those countries. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kim for your wonderful words and wishes. I'm sure that I'll be posting pictures and creating a few pieces after that trip! And I wouldn't want to imagine life without books. They are so precious. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Great interpretation of the challenge. I am fascinated by the books your mentioned. Unfortunately, my library doesn't have The Murmur of Bees. I shall recommend it to them. I am off to look into Nordic Noir. Thanks for the suggestions. Love your project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki, it was a lot of fun to make but it's always so difficult to choose just a few books, isn't it?

      Delete
  5. ohhh this is an interesting idea! I would love to let my favorite book series inspire a quilt piece. Not to mention, I'm a bit of an EPP junkie myself! Enjoy your trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nina Marie, I'm sure that you could find some great novelty scraps to depict your favourite books in EPP! Take care and thanks for the linking party!

      Delete
  6. This is a great idea! So much meaning in some small hexies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabi. Isn't it great how meaning can be found pretty much anywhere if we use our imagination?

      Delete
  7. Like you, my quilting and reading is all over the place, although my reading is more specific than my quilting, if asked. I like your little quilt with the representative hexies - clever idea! I've read two of the Douglas Adams' books. - where does the one you mentioned fall? I might have to read that one. You have quite the trip coming up - what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, the internet says that it's book 4 of the trilogy! I've read the first book many times but haven't re-read the others. I had never laughed out loud so much than when reading his books. They are pretty incredible!

      Delete
  8. What a great idea for your block. I love that Douglas Adams' book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, it was a lot of fun to make and I love being able to include Douglas Adams in the piece!

      Delete
  9. What a great way to interpret the challenge! Love your hexies and all they represent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a fabulous job with this. Love all the details in the fabric selection and the quilting. Thanks for linking up to TGIFF - and sorry I am late getting to reply.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)