Welcome to week 364 of Free Motion Mavericks! The new year has begun and the biggest goal that I have to accomplish this year is Version 2.0 of my son's quilt. No more excuses....there will hopefully be progress posted at least once per fortnight when it's my turn to host!
|FMQ Canada's beauty starting with the west coast|
Stitching Canada's natural beauty
If you remember, my mother hand-quilted the original quilt with themes based on what my son liked. The large tan angled strip at the top was originally quilted with tree motifs for his life in Northern Ontario. I've decided to quilt it based on the nature found within Canada's provinces, going from west to east.
I've divided the tan strip in roughly 5 sections based on Canada's geographic areas (West Coast, Prairies, Ontario, Quebec and the Maritime provinces) I will try to add the North somewhere in there too!
I started with the ocean. Many years ago we went to Vancouver and Victoria and saw some whales. Can you spot a whale in there?
|Coastal waters and a whale|
After that comes the mountains of course! There are rocks and pebbles to separate the water from the land, then, mountains, trees, a river, plants and a bear!
I'm not sure what to quilt at the bottom since I don't want this to be too densely quilted (I know...too late!) I think maybe just another tuff of plants like the first one.
|The West Coast with mountains, forests, a river and a bear.|
Here is the map of the quilt and its original quilted designs. I'm now doing the tan stripe that says "trees". The stripe is about 65" long by 6" wide.
What I learned
- I've enjoyed researching ideas for quilting this section. There are so many fun, iconic images for each region.
- I may somehow insert the North within the prairies since a good chunk of the North is over the prairies.
- I even googled how to capitalise the geographic areas. Hopefully I got it right! (Should I capitalise Google when it's a verb? 😊 I decided not to!)
- I better make some of the other quilting simpler, otherwise it will take me years to quilt this!
- I looked at my related links and the original PowerPoint that I created and realised that I already have a whole bunch of ideas for the quilting...so I'm going back to that planning to see how it can help me!
- I love my cotton thread but it did not want to FMQ on this quilt. The tension was not good, even after trying a couple of kinds of different brands. So I'm using some Omni thread that I bought as part of a trial pack from Superior Threads (when the exchange was good here...sigh). It's working very well. However, tan is the only colour I have, so I'm going to pick up some Glide thread since it comes so highly recommended by many of you (thanks!). I'm going to take Friday morning off for a little road trip to pick up thread....life really has gotten dull, hasn't it? Oh well, I will enjoy my drive (cold and sunny forecast!) and probably stop in at a drive-through Tim Horton for breakfast. When life gets basic, you have to appreciate the little things!😎
- 2022 Planning Party with Free Motion Mavericks, December 23, 2021
- Planning and FMQ with Free Motion Mavericks, October 07, 2021
I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Let's see what's going on in Internet Quilt land! Put your foot down, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Peacock Party, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2022, Design Wall Monday, Monday Making,
Free Motion Mavericks
It was a very quiet week last time but I did want to thank Gail of Quilting Gail for linking up the announcement for her PHD in 2022. If you participate, you may end up linking up lots of past UFOs as you FMQ them! It's not too late to participate...you have a couple of days left!
|Get those UFOs done! with Quilting Gail|
It's now your turn.