Thursday, May 09, 2024

Odds and Ends on Free Motion Mavericks

Hi and welcome to week 581 of Free Motion Mavericks.

Fibre Fling finds 


Last Friday and Saturday was the Out of the Box (OOTB) Fibre Artists' Fibre Fling 2024. I was there for most of the two days, spending my time at the Membership table. I had a chance to meet with fellow members, potential members and see all of the wonderful work of these very talented artists.

If you didn't see it, here are my two pieces at the show.

My tulips and birds at Fibre Fling

Over 30 potentially new members signed up for more information on OOTB. The show is a great way to promote our group.

Every year, I purchase a couple of pieces from fellow artist and blogger, Connie at Connie's Textile Art. Connie has started stamping on her hand-dyed fabrics. I plan on making next year's Agenda with one of these (or maybe both?)

Wonderful stamped fabrics

I saw the dark fabric below and fell in love! Then I looked at the fabric piece behind it and gasped😮 It's really that wonderful (and the photo doesn't do it justice!) I'm not sure what I'll be doing with these - they are going with my other Connie fabrics until I figure out what to make with them.

Gorgeous printed fabric 😍

There was also a raffle next to the membership table, so I spent a lot of time talking with potential ticket buyers. Of course I had to buy some. There were about a dozen different textile art pieces, each with a box to hold tickets. You had to choose where to put your tickets - that was the most difficult part! I put one of my tickets in a box that I knew was very full, but a girl can dream.....except that some dreams do come true! Look at what I won - an original Nancy Garrard! I'm going to have to find a special spot for this one in my home!

Changing Seasons by Nancy Garrard

I also treated myself to a small felted piece by fellow artist Laura C. I just love the pops of turquoise, cherry and lime. It also has lots of interesting hand-stitching and beading. 

A lovely felted piece by Laura 

While I was at Fibre Fling, I had time to finish embroidering my Noon Sun for my outdoor hanging sculpture. 

Noon Sun - part of my outdoor hanging sculpture

What I learned
  • Fibre Fling was a lot of fun, but as an introvert, it took a lot out of me!
  • As you can see, I've got one finished piece of my outdoor hanging sculpture. 
  • I haven't done any kind of quilt or stitch work since the show - I need to re-boost my battery. I have done some gardening. The manual labour was difficult but good 😊I now have 3 rhubarb plants in my side garden.
  • Now that I've played with the big garden tools, I'm ready to tackle the last corner of my garden, where there will be a small fountain and meditation area...wish me luck! 
Related links
Linking parties
I'll be linking to many fun linking parties. Why not check them out after you've linked up below? Design Wall Monday, Sew & Tell, Midweek Makers, Put your foot down, Needle & Thread ThursdayOff The Wall FridayPatchwork & Quilts, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2024, Slow Sunday Stitching

Wonderful news! Spring Tulips was featured on Needle & Thread Thursday! Thanks Kelly.

Free Motion Mavericks


We had a busy party here last week! Thanks to everyone who linked up 😍. Here are the projects that included FMQ, ruler work or walking foot quilting. 

Vicki from Vicki's Crafts and Quilting made this Delectable Teal Mountain runner. Isn't it gorgeous? You may want to check out her post to see her lovely FMQ feathers.

Vicki's Delectable Teal Mountain runner

Preeti of Sew Preeti Quilts outdid herself by making and quilting three quilts for the Pantone Quilt Challenge. This year's colour is Peach Fuzz. To see the Pantone Quilt challenge announcement and all of Preeti's quilts, go to the links beneath each quilt.


Preeti's Peach on Earth

For something different we have Preeti's Mica in 
Island Batik fabrics

Next we have Frédérique's Anaho - a wall hanging that she started in 2009 and finished last week. Those will perspectives are so cool!😎 Check out her post of her process and story behind the quilt.

Frédérique's Anaho

Deb from A Scrappy Quilter quilted this charity quilt on her domestic machine. The quilt was supplied by her guild and she did the rest! Deb quilted it with giant waves to help the geese stay up!

Deb's quilted charity quilt 

It's now your turn!

You are invited to the Inlinkz link party!

Click here to enter

6 comments:

  1. Those fabric pieces are all beautiful! Your finished fabric art is gorgeous, the pops of color do draw you in to the piece. Hope you've been able to recharge your battery and get back to stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate, thanks for your kind words. I think that I'm still recuperating. I've read lots of books and have been gardening since it's finally nice out. I'm sure that I'll get back to it on Tuesday since we have an all-day workshop. I'll let you know all about it!

      Delete
  2. Bravo pour cette exposition, et tous tes achats et cadeaux ;) Merci pour la mise en avant de mon petit quilt!
    Bises

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. Ça été une belle exposition. J'ai pris la semaine à me remettre. Je vais certainement jouer cette semaine. Bises.

      Delete
  3. So many lovely projects. The fabric is beautiful but I really love the tulips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise. It was a challenge to make but a great experience. I won't be making more anytime soon but it's good to know what you can do with different materials!

      Delete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)