|First placemat - Classy side|
|First placemat - Scrappy side|
Of course I couldn't make two identical placemats...that would be boring, but they do match!
|Simply Strips Placemats|
by Cindi Edgerton
For this second placemat, I used some of the original fabric, some new fabric, as well as fabric from the same line. I looked in my collection of placemat and table runner patterns (yes I have one of those!) and found a Little Bits Simply Strips Placemats by Cindi Edgerton. The pattern includes six different designs for foundation paper piecing strips.
|Second placemat - Classy side|
This was the first time that I did foundation paper piecing with the pattern printed on "dressmaker" weight tissue paper. Although it was a little more fragile, it worked out fine.
For the scrappy side, I went even more improvisational. I love sewing fabrics together, cutting them up and then sewing them back together at crazy angles. I also included a "T" for Tipi (my friend's name). That was the only planning I did!
|Second placemat - Scrappy side|
I free motion quilted (FMQ) this placemat with the same overall design of small flowers as well as quilting in the ditch around the foundation paper pieced strip.
|Details of improvisational piecing|
What I learned
- I looked at the pictures from the blog post to remind me of the pattern and the fabrics I had originally used. Too bad I didn't re-read the actual post before quilting it. I couldn't remember what thread I had used but didn't check the post because I don't usually mark it down. Oh well!
- Did I mention that I LOVE doing improvisational piecing? I think it had been too long since I had just played around. To me this is the ultimate play time.
- As I mentioned in my last post, I spent most of my week sorting and inventorying all of my quilting fabric and supplies. As you can see, Chevy helped by chilling out and staying out of my way! BTW, I haven't found those blocks yet :-( Maybe if I stop looking...
|Chevy napping while I clean!|
- Little Bits Simply Strips Placemats by Cindi Edgerton
- Classy and Scrappy - the original post, May 29, 2017.
Classy & Scrappy placemat
20" x 13"
Classy side - Little Bits Simply Strips Placemats by Cindi Edgerton
Techniques: piecing and improvisational piecing, FMQ
Linking Parties: I will be linking this post to many fun linking parties. Check them out! Main Crush Monday, Design Wall Monday, Linky Tuesday, Let's Bee Social, Midweek Makers, Needle and Thread Thursday, Finished or Not Friday, Off the Wall Friday, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Oh Scrap!, Monday Making, Free Motion Mavericks
This second placemat was also one of my goals for the 3rd Quarter Finish-A-Long. Here are the links to my original goals, the 3Q FAL goal setting link up and the final link up.
Remember to start planning your learning project for September! For more details, visit the Learning QAL site. Be ready to link up between September 1-10.