|The fabric on the table didn't dry - it was too cool outside.
|Fabric drying in the sun
In mid-morning, I placed plastic sheets on the ground, in the sunlight, and very carefully transferred the fabric from the table to the plastic.
|The fabric on the left was originally a white-on-white.
I even had to hang one piece since I didn't have enough plastic! Once the smaller pieces were dry, I was able to rotate them. Within two hours, everything was dry.
|A very colourful yard!
|Lots of yummy fabrics to play with now!
My final fabrics are a little brighter than in the pictures. These are some of my favourites! You can see the see-through cotton on the fence. Below are two pieces of the cheese cloth.
|Finished hand-dyed cheese cloth and cotton.
I now also have some very lovely pink gardening pants and rags :-)
What I learned
- Because I was nervous about the whole process, I spent all my time planning the dyeing part. I should have spent a little more time on the details of what to do after it was all dyed!
- The fabric is lovely, though perhaps a little on the extremely colourful side - nothing subtle this time around.
- It would be lovely to work with only a couple of colours but with more shades.
- I'll be checking out the internet to see what fibre artists do with their dyed fabric!
- I dyed some cheese cloth as well as some rather see-through cotton. These are my favourites! This was not what I expected.
- I would love to dye some organza and such...and of course more cheese cloth.
- Since fall is almost here, the next time I dye fabric will likely be indoors. I plan to make something with my hand-dyed fabric before I dye more, but I think that it's safe to say that I will be doing this again.
- Thanks to everyone who encouraged me. It was a wonderful learning experience.
Posts of my dyeing experience
Don't forget to plan your September Learning Goal for the Learning QAL. Join in the fun - learn something new, share with the community and maybe even win a prize!