Sunday, January 29, 2023

Blue and Crazy for January's Table Scraps Challenge

It's a good thing that I was catching up on my blog reading or I would not have remembered the January Table Scraps Challenge! 😮 There's nothing more fun than whipping up a wee little scrappy project...and even learning something at the same time!

Blue Scraps for a Crazy Quilt Topper


This month the colour was dark and/or bright blue and the prompt comes from the letters C, R. or J. My prompt is therefore C for Crazy quilt. I started by sewing blue scraps together. Blue is always easy to do because I have a whole basket just with blue scraps! I tried to use triangular shapes because scrappy quilts are not just squares and rectangles.

Blue and Crazy table topper

Once the top was finished, I decided to quilt it using some of the stitches on my machine. It's a good quick alternative and I finally got to try out stitches other than straight and zigzag! One day I would love to make a real crazy quilt but not today! 😊

Here are some of the stitches

Fancy Stitches on my machine

There are card symbols: diamonds, hearts,
clubs and spades

More interesting stitches

Harder to see but still impressive stitches

Newly added: Blue and Crazy is now in the kitchen
keeping the counter somewhat clean 😊

What I learned
  • I just love sewing pieces of fabric together. Improv piecing with scraps makes my happy 😊
  • I didn't worry about bright or dark - anything blue was added, with one scrappy fabric that included a few subtle colours for contrast.
  • I was reading the stitch diagram wrong on my machine. After a few tries I figured it out!
  • There are some really fun stitches that I will have to use again. It's not FMQ but it's still cool!😎 
  • I sewed on the binding using the lessons that I had learned in December (see link below). They worked out really well. 
  • I tried to use a fancy stitch to sew down the binding but it was too thick, even with the walking foot. Next time I'll try a simpler stitch.

Related links

Linking parties

Project details




Blue and Crazy Table Topper
Made for the Table Scraps Challenge 2023
10¼" x 10¾"
Material: blue cotton scraps
Technique: improv piecing and quilted using fancy machine stitches






8 comments:

  1. I love the embellishment on this beautiful table topper!

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Improv piecing with scraps is so much fun, and I love what you did with your blues! Such a fun idea to use those fancy stitches on your machine for the quilting, too. This is a happy little mini quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to use up small triangle scraps and have a play with those fancy machine stitches, Andree! LOVE the binding you chose and how well your entry works on your kitchen counter! I'm glad you were catching up on your blog reading in time to join in the ABC (Table) SCRAPS Challenge this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous. The IB challenge for April is crazy quilt and I have been looking forward to it since the schedule was released. My mind is all over the place with it. Thank you for linking up to PYFD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great way to use up scraps and learn about your machine's stitches. Such an inviting table, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The perfect spot for your pretty topper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Très joli, ce mini quilt ! Belle occasion d'essayer les points de broderie de la machine à coudre, et ça rend très bien.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great result from a bunch of scraps!!! Good idea to use your machine stitches for the embellishing.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)