Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Update on my Traveller's Blanket

I started my Traveller's Blanket in May 2020 based on a course by Dejanne Cevaal. This will be my second stitching project for the next part of my #100dayschallenge on Instagram.

Traveller's Blanket so far

Mixing up projects and techniques

This project has what I love best - a mixture of different projects and techniques (links in Related links below).
  • Meditation stitching - after reading an article by Liz Kettle in the October/November 2019 edition of the Quilting Arts magazine, I started making 4" squares. It was very calming and creative, but what to do with all of those little squares?
  • Hand-dyed fabric - I've been hand-dyeing fabric for a while now. I use scraps in my meditation stitching and used a large piece as the base for my Traveller's Blanket.
  • Hexies - you may know that I have an on/off obsession with hexies, the English paper pieced ones (EPP). During #100hexies100days2021, I embroidered on some larger hexies. I'll be including them in this project
  • Sashiko stitching - I have even included a square of Sashiko stitching😊
  • Embroidery - you may have figured out that I love embroidery...but get quickly bored of doing the same thing for too long. This is another great project for trying out new things and stitching some old favourites.
Meditation block made with hand-dyed fabric

Embroidered hexies










Here is a closer look at the Traveller's Blanket to date.

The left side of the blanket


The middle of the blanket

The right side of the blanket

The Plan

If all goes well, I'll be stitching up this blanket a bit each day, possibly until the end of the 100 days. I really have no idea how long it will take me. So far I have 15 blocks on the blanket, with only one of those left to be stitched down. 

I also have more hexies to place and stitch. I'm not sure if all of them will end up being on there.

As you can see, I've been attaching the meditation blocks and the hexies and then stitching around them. Once these are all done, I'll be quilting it with a running stitch.

What I learned

  • My Traveller's Blanket has been waiting patiently for me to get back to it. After the last stitching project, I'm now ready to tackle this one. It will be really great to stitch on this very colourful piece!
  • As I did in my last stitching piece, I'll be posting about my progress once a week or so. Feel free to follow me on Instagram if you don't want to wait 😊 

Related links

Linking parties

I'll be linking up to many fun linking parties. Let's see what's going on out there. I'll be linking up with Muv for the Free Motion Mavericks this week. Remember, your post doesn't have to be about FMQ to link up 😊 Monday Making, Patchwork & QuiltsMidweek Makers, Free Motion Mavericks, Put Your Foot Down, Needle & Thread Thursday, Off The Wall Friday, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Peacock Party, Slow Sunday Stitching, Design Wall Monday


10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Janine. I've been working at it pretty steadily and it's coming along nicely. There's so much possibilities that I doubt that I'll get bored soon!

      Delete
  2. Such a good way to use those lovely embroidered square and hexies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Norma. It is nice when these projects come together!

      Delete
  3. What an interesting project! Best of luck with your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So far I'm really enjoying the challenge.

      Delete
  4. It doesn't matter what additional blocks you add because it is already beautiful and so creative. I look forward to watching it progress. Thank you for linking up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Denise - and thanks for featuring it! I'm almost finished stitching around the blocks and hexies and will soon be quilting it. Really looking forward to it. Take care.

      Delete
  5. Très belle pièce, j'aime beaucoup ces blocs et détails ajoutés. Magnifique !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous colours Andrée, and so many techniques. What a lovely project for the autumn as the nights draw in.
    Muv x

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)