So what it a Traveller's Blanket? If you google it, you will find links to Dejanne Cevaal's work. Dejanne has made a number of Traveller's Blankets - blankets that might have been made by travellers to depict what they had seen during their travels. I follow Dejanne on Instagram and saw that she was offering an online course. Since I've really enjoyed meditation stitching, I thought that this would be a great way to display them.
I'm using a very fine piece of cotton that I dyed a couple of years ago. I love the colours and I'm sure that it will make a great background to my small meditation stitched blocks.
|My dyed background piece (39" x 25")|
|First block stitched down with a blanket stitch|
and then adding seed stitches
|Two blocks stitched down and the hexie pinned|
Here are some of my favourite meditation stitching.
|Impressions of Dried Flowers|
|Web in the Flower of Life|
|Orange, Pink & a feather|
|Pretty Moon & Stars; Angles; Green & Blue with Bark; and Shining Rose|
|Embroidered hexies in the spring garden|
|Close-up of embroidered hexies|
- In the first meditation stitched block that I attached, I ran out of the pink embroidery floss that I was using for the outside chain stitch. As I was posting my pictures on Facebook, I realised that I could leave the chain stitch open and have a few seed stitches spilling out of the open frame.
- I'm not a big Facebook fan but this is a lovely small group so things can easily be found.
- It's really fun to see other participants' work. The fabrics that are being attached to the blankets tell a story. Either they were acquired while travelling , hand-dyed, etc.
- I have quite a few meditation stitched pieces done but will be making more to add to the blanket.
- I want to stitch a border around each block. It's fun that I can add more stitching to the borders later.
- I'm looking forward to seeing how my hexies look when interspersed around the blocks.
- Musing in Textile - Dejanne Cevaal's website
- Dejanne Cevaal on Instagram
- Posts on Meditation Stitching
I will be linking this post to many fun linky parties. Let's see what's happening out there! Oh Scrap!, 15 Minutes to Stitch 2020, Monday Making, Colour & Inspiration Tuesday, Free Motion Mavericks, Off the Wall Friday, Foto Fun Friday, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop?, Peacock Party, Slow Sunday Stitching, Midweek Makers, Needle & Thread Thursday, Put Your Foot Down,