Sunday, March 07, 2021

Embroidery & Beads for Slow Sunday Stitching

 We have another great workshop that got me totally inspired at the TextileArtist.org's Stitch Club. Kate Tume's workshop is about exploring narrative potential with embellishment.

Embellishing with embroidery and beads

We were supposed to make some sampling but I got inspired and just had to jump right in 😊. The prompt was biodiversity. I guess I was in a creative mood because this is what I came up with as my collage background (it all started with the frogs!).

Biodiversity - collage ready to be put together

Once I had an idea of what I wanted, I used Heat n Bond Lite to affix the collage pieces to the background fabrics. 

I started adding beads and other embellishments from the bottom. I really wasn't sure if I needed to embroider and bead right on the fabric, or if I should do it through the batting. It turns out that embroidering through the batting brings up a lot of white fluff, so I am generally embroidering first and then beading through all of the layers.

Details of stacked beading and embroidery


More beading and embroidery

This is what I've done so far, but it's still early on Sunday and I have lots of hours left in my audiobook to keep me going. I'm really, really loving this!

Biodiversity in progress

What I learned

  • I've been using all kinds of material for the embroidery and beading. I used metallic thread for the leaf of the lotus flower, beads that look like coral in the water. These came from a bracelet that I bought in my travels. There are shells from a necklace, regular beads, embroidery thread as well am my hand-dyed thread. It's just so much fun!
  • I'm not sure about having added the batting already but when I was beading the shells and coral at the bottom, it just seemed so heavy that I wanted something stronger behind it. I also like the change in puffiness that comes from beading or embroidering with batting. 
  • To minimize the fluff when embroidering, I pull back the batting as much as I can and embroider the fabric first. Once an area is more or less done, then I bead through the batting. 
  • I'm going back to add French Knots at the bottom, but the fuzz is minimal since it's just one stitch at a time.
  • I probably should have embroidered everything first, but that's just not how I work - I was too impatient to wait. Besides this feels better - more organic.

Related links

Linking parties

I will be linking up to many fun linking parties. If you are looking for Free Motion Mavericks, it will be with Muv on March 11, 2021.

Slow Sunday Stitching, Off The Wall Friday, Patchwork & Quilts, Put Your Foot Down, Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Design Wall Monday, Finished or Not Finished Friday, Peacock Party, Free Motion Mavericks, Monday Making, DrEAMi with Sandra at mmm quilts


15 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Beautiful piece..so colorful. It's a version of Crazy Quilting. I've made several Crazy Quilts. All the embroidery and beading is done on the block and then the blocks are sewed together to make the quilt. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherrie. I have used many stitches that would be used on a crazy quilt. I've only made one a long time ago but I do hope to make another one eventually.

      Delete
  2. I love it.it’s an evolving work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - it is definitely an evolving work and it feels like it's taking forever to make. I can spend hours and only have a couple of inches finished. It will be done one day :-)

      Delete
  3. J'aime beaucoup, une belle composition ! Sympa cette technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci beaucoup Frédérique. J'adore jouer avec tous ces tissues. C'est un vrai collage mais pas très vite à faire :-)

      Delete
  4. That is going to be a beautiful piece of art when finished. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen. I think that it's going to be one of my favourites, whenever it gets done!

      Delete
  5. Oh this is going to be one of my favorites. Thank you for linking up last week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise - it's going to be one of mine also. I love it but it's feels like it's never ending! Take care.

      Delete
  6. I really like this project! Lots of potential for more:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Connie. I really love it but it sure is slow going. Take care.

      Delete
  7. Andrée, your work always takes me to Fairyland. Such a riot of fanciful stitching, and so you!
    Love, Muv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Muv. These are my favourites. This one is taking an eternity to make (and of course it doesn't help that other things catch my eye and time). Take care.

      Delete
  8. Wow, this is truly a work of art and heart Andrée! Your beading is incredible, and adds so much to the quilt that speaks to my heart too. Thank you for linking up with DrEAMi!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I would love to hear from you and I will try to answer you. Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a message. :-)